Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

right my mums clio is being a pain again,

ive read loads of interweb pages regarding the problem, but none ahve given me a way to check if its the fault i think it is.

The problem:
When starting after long periods of no use (24hrs+) the car will turn over and only start if you floor the accelerator pedal, then start and then imediatly die. You have to keep reving it once started for 30secs and then it goes to idle, a little lumpy but ok.

What i think it is:
Either the Crank Position Sensor OR Fuel Pressure regulator.

Done so far:
-Changed Sparks
-Cleaned CPS
-cleaned and checked inlet and filter
-new battery

so basicly how can i test these sensors? am i right? what are your opionions?

any help much apreciated.

Tony

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Check the engine coolant temp sensor/s. If faulty the ECU may think the engine is always warm - hence the cold start problem.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooo didnt think of that, cheers mate. Do i check with resistance or voltage? and what reading do i want for cold and hot?

D

·
0 Posts
In all honesty they're not worth testing for the cost of a new one!
I can look it up if you know year, engine size, engine code etc, but around £20 for a new one..........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think the bulb has been removed from the engine light, surly it should come on when i unplug sensors?

yeah, £20 is alot if it turns out i have to change 3 or 4 different sensors to fix it.

i tested it, and it has no resistance at all. so im going with it broke.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The fact there is no resistance across the terminals would be a good sign it has died.

Ball park figures for resistances shoulkd be as follows.

20 degress C = 3550 ohms plus or minus 500 ohms

80 degress C = 335 ohms plus or minus 35 ohms.

You'll notice the differenece between cold and hot the figures drop around to a tenth.:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ordered a new one, cheers for your help.

plus the clock keeps reseting on every start up... the radio remains fine, the battery is new and connections are good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Clio II; took advice still trouble to start.

Hello,

My mums clio II is still having trouble starting..

basicly sometimes the car will not start very well, it turns over alot then fumbles to a start and then cuts out straight away, you have to keep on the accelerator to keep it running for half a minute then it runs fine. and drives fine.

i have replaced the engine temp sensor after advice from here and still no fix, the battery and alternator are in good working order.

any ideas?

could it be a fuel problem?

Tony.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Re: Clio II; took advice still trouble to start.

It could be the air inlet temperature sensor usually found on the inlet manifold, easily tested with a ohmeter and hairdrier.

:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

cheers man, il try it tomorow... just looking for an increase in resistance when heated yes?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts

If the clock resets everytime you start the car then it sounds like you have a poor connection at the battery.I know you say that the connections are good,and in all honesty this probably won't make a blind bit of difference to the starting problems,but it's worth double/treble checking the battery connections.

Also check the earth lead that runs between the gearbox and the nearside front chassis leg,they have a habit of corroding and causing some odd faults.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts

cheers man, il try it tomorow... just looking for an increase in resistance when heated yes?
On youtube loads of vids'

Bit fiddly but remove the sensor, keep the sensor connected the the multi meter {ohms} via its terminals & observe the readings as the temperature increases with the hairdrier, the values should change dramiticaly.
Beats buying a new sensor only to find the fault still persists!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

you may be right about the earth... if the battery has a bad connection then i will eat my hat as i have the terminals slightly diging in the lead.

i had a problem before with the alternator so the charging system is good.

il check the earth from the gearbox. cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Today i completly went through the earths and all are good, i took off the gearbox one and cleaned all connections to new metal and refitted. I also did the batter connections.

still the clock resets itselfs every other time its started. the radio does not reset so i dont know how the clock is resetting?? any ideas?

next job to check air temp sensor.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Your ect sensor (engine coolant tempature) As it's a
variable resister resistance checks dos'nt mean a thing if it hasan't got it's 5v feed from the ecu reading is always approx 4.98 ish but should not exceed 5v's. hard cold starts on petrol engines is always down to compressions + a strong spark +good plugs.I think the road i would go down check valve clearances compression test replace spark
plugs of the recommended type Hth Regards Mickeybo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
-sparks have been changed (just fitted)
-ECT sensor is brand new (just fitted)
-as far as i can tell all earths are good.

any other troublesome earth wires to look for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts