Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of all i started to hear a quiet banging noise from the rear NS intermittently & inspected the underneath. The rear exhaust bracket had broken in two so i gathered this was causing the noise. I managed to tie the exhaust up for a day until i got a replacement bracket. During this time i went on a long journey & half way through i started to notice a loud grinding noise which would last a few seconds & then stop. Also when i pulled away from a junction it felt as if something was stopping the back wheel from turning properly but this as now stopped. I put the noise down to the exhaust scraping on the heat shield & the banging happening when the exhaust was moving. I fitted the exhaust bracket tonight & cant believe that the weird noises are still there. I can now here a constant drone noise which stops when i corner. I jacked the rear up & there is a play in the wheel & you can see the drum moving away from back plate. This makes me think that the bearing as gone but am not sure if this would cause the weird noises. The noise still feels like it is coming from the middle of the car?? Any ideas???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi it sound like you need to replace rear wheelbearing, jack up rear wheels and spin each wheel 1 wheel will be noiser than other so replace noise one you my not have any play but bearing surface damaged. Regards lassie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi it sound like you need to replace rear wheelbearing, jack up rear wheels and spin each wheel 1 wheel will be noiser than other so replace noise one you my not have any play but bearing surface damaged. Regards lassie
Thanks Lassie will jack the car up tomorrow & have a listen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: Changed the wheel bearing & the droning noise has gone but i still have an intermittent noise. It sounds like the heat shield above the exhaust but i have checked it & it is no where near touching even if i move the exhaust by hand. The noise just appears for a few seconds & disappears. I did notice that the brake shoes are down to the rivets & you can hear this when braking but not sure if this could cause the weird noise??? To me it sounds a bit further forward than the rear wheel??

P.S. The bearing was in pieces when the hub was removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts