Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm replacing the calipers on a Clio III 1.4 (due to a snapped bleeder plug), I've received the calipers and it looks like it's a screw in type rather than banjo bolt.

Does anyone know if the screw in hose requires a crush washer?
I ask because my BMW Mini has screw in hoses and that doesn't use washers :surprise:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,630 Posts
Screw in fittings normally have a flare on pipe and internal form to seal.
Banjo fittings normally seal on face seal external to thread.

So why are you changing type and why can't banjo fitting be used anyway?
Different thread?

Photos may help us understand

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not changing type. I didn't pay much attention to the type of fitting when I was working on the car, and now I have new calipers in my hand it looks like screw in brake lines. So I'd like it confirmed that washers aren't needed.

Or are you telling me that the Clio III uses banjo connections?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,630 Posts
..........Or are you telling me that the Clio III uses banjo connections?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
I thought you were telling us that !

So you bought new calipers.
But are unsure of fitting type and wanted to check?

I would be surprised if they were anything but standard flared pipe ends.
Would be even more surprised if any sort of crush washer or separate seal

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,242 Posts
Should be the same as you are taking off,,,,..
The fittings will not be different..
Recheck the new ones,,...
Make sure you dont put nearside on offside, or vice versa.( bleed nipple at the top, is correct way)

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
But are unsure of fitting type and wanted to check?
No, my question was "Does anyone know if the screw in hose requires a crush washer?" :grin2:

Should be the same as you are taking off,,,,..
The fittings will not be different..
I know they'll be the same :smile2:

The answer, for anyone searching is, no the screw in hoses do not require a washer.

The reason why I asked is that the only other car I've changed calipers / hoses that uses screw in type is my BMW Mini, and for all I know it could just be BMW being cheapskates (like how there's no crush washer on the gearbox fill and drain plugs, because they NEVER change this oil, and neither do they change fuel filters:surprise:).

One thing that was odd, is that the caliper piston doesn't cover pad completely (and neither did the old one) :surprise:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the piston not covering the whole pad (as I said, the old caliper was the same, but I only noticed today)

Here's a view of the discs & pads from a few weeks ago (both pads & discs were identical in size to the old ones that were already on the car)

Not impressed by the variation of parts for these cars...
Went to the dealer for a brake light switch (that goes on the brake pedal), dealer says there's two or three types available and doesn't know which LOLZ.
Every site I saw about drive belts states 6PK1130 for cars without AC, 6PK1200 for cars with AC. This car doesn't have AC so I order 6PK1130... low and behold it's too small and the one on the car is 6PK1199 (near enough 1200) WTF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts