Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Clio III. Recently, when driving over rough ground or a pothole I am getting a loud metallic noise high up, somewhere near the steering wheel. It sounds like a set of keys jingling. It is louder when there is some steering on. I originally thought it was my keyring, so I have taken all objects out of the cabin and removed my keyring so it is just the key, to no avail.

The car has had extensive steering work done recently, and it has been to the garage several times and they have not been able to fix this noise. It has had a new steering rack, track rod ends, track rod and clock spring. The garage have assured me that they have tightened everything up and there is no problem with the steering and suspension and they believe the noise is coming from the interior.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven't had any replies, so I'm going to add some more information.

It doesn't only really happen on rough and potholed ground, it is now happening as I go round a corner that demands quite a lot of steering.

I have also uploaded a video that lets you hear the noise (and that the key is absolutely still and not vibrating or anything - ruling that out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHQDdsgWGk&feature=youtu.be

This can be particularly heard at around 15-18 seconds, a short burst, and more continuously at around 22-30 seconds. It is also intermittent towards the end of the video, but best to look at between 22 and 30 seconds.

This noise is driving me mad and makes me feel like the steering is going to fail. Have had it looked at by several garages who say there is nothing wrong and could be a loose clip. Sounds a lot more dangerous than that - especially on a tight corner.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
21,875 Posts
I have hearing problems so maybe not the best person to comment but it sound to me more like interior panel vibration..a buzzing sound..have you tried touching door capping's ect to see if it stops it..

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have this very problem and I think it is the tyres I have on my car.
I put a new set of Michelin Energy tyres on recently, not realising that they are a slightly beefier version of what went before. I experience a dreadful noise over rough asphalt that I wouldn't necessarily describe as metallic but which certainly suggests something is up with the steering or suspension. I didn't experience this before on winter tyres.
Equally, the noises could be caused by interior noise. What has become obvious to me over the past couple of months is that the Clio III does not age well and mine is feeling decidedly baggy after just 48,000 miles - the interior trim is of an extremely poor quality and has started to rattle and buzz more and more.
The quality issue has really put me off Renaults and, with so many exceptionally well-constructed small cars about, I won't be getting another.
I hope you have some luck finding the source of your noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Phil, The video is maybe not that good because it is infact raining. The problem is so subjective, I don't feel there is a buzzing noise because it sounds like metal ringing - a childs' glockenspiel kind of noise. Can you tell me more about the door caps? I don't quite know what you're meaning.

Thanks MrTotty, something I have just thought of is maybe our wheel nuts are loose? If the wheels have been taken off the car then maybe they haven't been done up properly. I had my wheels taken off to be balanced - would be around the same time I started noticing the noise...

·
21,875 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. I think it's something loose in the steering/suspension, rather than some loose trim. I've tried all the panels in the car and they seem tight/don't flex or make noise

·
21,875 Posts
Ok gone back to your first post and read that again..the only item anywhere near the ign key area is the clock spring so I wonder if anything in that area is causing this..

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Thanks Phil, The video is maybe not that good because it is infact raining. The problem is so subjective, I don't feel there is a buzzing noise because it sounds like metal ringing - a childs' glockenspiel kind of noise. Can you tell me more about the door caps? I don't quite know what you're meaning.

Thanks MrTotty, something I have just thought of is maybe our wheel nuts are loose? If the wheels have been taken off the car then maybe they haven't been done up properly. I had my wheels taken off to be balanced - would be around the same time I started noticing the noise...
If the wheel nuts are loose it's normally more of a knocking sound you hear. But if you suspect that then check them as soon as possible

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,755 Posts
Wile your looking at the wheel check the brake calipers are not flapping about on there pins and that any anti rattle shims at present and in good order behind the pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there guys,

The clockspring was replaced a few months ago which is when I started to hear the noise - don't know if it was there before but probably not. With the Renault Dealer I'm using, I wouldn't be too sure with them doing it properly so I will take it to another and ask them to check if it has been replaced properly.

There was nothing loose in the wheel nuts, the calipers and shims do not seem to be rattling about, however, this happened in the past and I believe this to be fixed.
Again, I cannot trust the above Dealer.

I think it is coming from the ignition area, but again could be anywhere from around the steering wheel.

In the video, I should point out that the noise is the higher pitched noise, not a low grumble (that's the rain and probably some plastic trim that I'm not worried about.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could it be the cv joints or shock absorbers? Does the sound sound like that? How would I be able to check or are there any tell tale signs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been doing more investigating, and it seems as if the noise only happens if there is any amount of left steering on, nothing on the right?

Would that make any difference?
Thanks, Blair

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
I've replayed the youtube clip between 14 - 18 seconds over and over and over and over and can't hear sweet FA. Apart from something that sounds very briefly like velcro, which I assumed is just rustling of the microphone? And my hearing is good! Mind you that's thru notebook speakers, is it a low frequency noise?

Incidentally your tyres seem to be much quieter than mine if that recording is accurate! :d

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've replayed the youtube clip between 14 - 18 seconds over and over and over and over and can't hear sweet FA. Apart from something that sounds very briefly like velcro, which I assumed is just rustling of the microphone? And my hearing is good! Mind you that's thru notebook speakers, is it a low frequency noise?

Incidentally your tyres seem to be much quieter than mine if that recording is accurate! :d
check 26-28, that's metalic rattling

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,735 Posts
Dont know how many times ive listened to it now,but it sounds like an exhaust baffle plate/heatshield tingling ,have you checked a nut has not gone down the scuttle panel,,this is then vibrating around,it would put it in the right area for the noise,is the bonnet lid on struts or hinges,if hinges make sure the bar cannot vibrate ,even if it means taking it off to check that the noise is still there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts