Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess someone else must have experienced this, how best to stick it back on?
The mirror unit is too heavy for normal mirror pads, and I've also tried Loctite special mirror glue (£8 off Amazon) but that was useless.
The whole unit includes the rain sensor and alarm sensor, as well as a heavy mirror; not good to have it dangling by the ribbon cables.
Any assistance appreciated. 2007 Clio mk3.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,997 Posts
Been there, pads and so called special glue useless. What worked was ordinary common or garden variety epoxy and clinical cleaning with alcohol. I imagine acetone would do as well. Let it cure out of direct sunlight for at least 24 hours before hanging the mirror.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been there, pads and so called special glue useless. What worked was ordinary common or garden variety epoxy and clinical cleaning with alcohol. I imagine acetone would do as well. Let it cure out of direct sunlight for at least 24 hours before hanging the mirror.
Thank you for the reply Brendan, ....
When you say let it cure for 24 hours before hanging the mirror .. not sure what you mean, because the whole unit (including the mirror) is one job lot, or do you mean dismantle it into its component bits? The fixing / mating surface is only about an inch square, I think it's on the alarm sensor bit, but I'm not sure you can clip it all back together once that's fixed to the screen?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,997 Posts
That's new one for me. Usually the mounting pad slides off the mirror assembly, with a little persuasion. It stays in place with a spring loaded ball or similar. Then it's just a matter of gluing the mount to the screen.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,155 Posts
+1 for poxy (Araldite rapid). But that was on the R21 with just the mirror and no hangers-on. It lasted as long as the car did. Use as little as you can, you're not trying to make a pad out of poxy, that doesn't help. Press it on by hand for the setting time (boring) then wedge it to a seat or the console. I used a tripod IIRC but failing that a batten or whatever.
If there's no bracket I would be trying to reduce the weight if easy to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our mirror unit looks like this (but now has some black tape holding it on); as mentioned there are 2 heavy electronic sensors in the case, plus the dipping mirror. I didn't really want all the electric kit with the car !!!... but it comes with an automatic. Picture should be attached if I've pressed the right buttons ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts