Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sisters got a V reg 1.2 clio, when you turn the ignition on the imobiliser light lights up and stays on, if you try start the car it will spin over but theres no spark, after a few tries the light goes out and the car runs fine, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If the light is coming on and staying on it's likely to be a fault with the engine bay wiring or the relay box near the battery.If it was a fault with the immobiliser it's self the light usually comes on then flashes rapidly if you go to start it.

I'd start by checking for corrosion/water ingress into the relay box near the battery,there should be a row of 3 small relays that you need to pay particular attention to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just off round now to have a look at it, i was going to remove the Crank sensor and clean it aswell as ive read quite a few problems are caused by dirty on the tip, costs me nothing to try i suppose, ill remove all the relays and give them a good clean and check for corrosion, i read about the main earth strap aswell so maybe thats worth a check,

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Yep,the main earth between the body and the gearbox can corrode,it's worth a try running a jump lead between a clean area on the engine to the battery earth.The earth doesn't usually throw the immobiliser light on,and neither will the TDC sensor,but it's definately worth ruling them out.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well update, ive just been round there and the problem was not as described above, infact the light was flashing when you turn ignition on, tried about 20 times and it wouldnt start but if you put the key in the ignition press the central locking button and keep it pressed then turn the ignition on then it starts every time, must have tried this 20-30 times and it started but if i didnt press the button it wouldnt start, whats all that about???? any ideas????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cars still continuing to start perfect providing the cental locking button is pressed when turning the ignition on, this obviously is not normal, anyone got any ideas what the problem could be, could it be a low battery in the fob?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
It's worth a try,it could also be a loose connection inside the fob which makes contact when you press the button.I'd change the battery to start with and go from there.I don't suppose you have a spare key to try too?.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.