Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone.
I have a 2016 Clio GT Line and I was wondering If I can have the LED day-time running lights turned on at the same time with the main headlights.
Because when I turn on main headlights the LED daylights turn off.
And when I turn on LED daylights the main headlights turn off.

As we can see here. BOTH daylight and headlights are turned on at the same time.
I don't know why but for some reason I can't do it.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
Going to ask, as dont know, are they fog lights on in the picture, and thats how its overcome, your daylights, are they fog lights as well

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
Don't quote me but I believe EU Regulations state DRL's must switch off when headlights are on.
It may be worth doing a websearch for the Regulations.

:iagree:

It is illegal to run DLR's at night (see my previous post). & I believe MOT testers are now failing cars where this does not happen.
Mostly aftermarket ones that are not wired in correctly. It is the same with front fogs - must extinguish when headlights are on full beam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there is no possible way (not talking in terms of if it is legal or not) to turn them both on at the same time like shown in the picture?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,805 Posts
So there is no possible way (not talking in terms of if it is legal or not) to turn them both on at the same time like shown in the picture?

Yes it is illegal because if you dazzle someone by rigging a car to do so, not only are you culpable for any harm that comes to them you're also punishable by law too.
Certain cars have daytime leds that dim at night by operating at half power, these are legal. Ring also produce aftermarket ones called Lyra that do the same. They've still got to be fitted and angled not to dazzle other road users.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is illegal because if you dazzle someone by rigging a car to do so, not only are you culpable for any harm that comes to them you're also punishable by law too.
Certain cars have daytime leds that dim at night by operating at half power, these are legal. Ring also produce aftermarket ones called Lyra that do the same. They've still got to be fitted and angled not to dazzle other road users.
Appreciate the reply. So the answer is that it is impossible to turn them on at the same time with the STOCK config.

·
37,764 Posts
With the Stock configuration, it seems you cannot, Not saying a relay, put in the system would not do it..
The car pictured, what country was that photo from, would you know??

·
37,764 Posts
Could be a bit of Photoshop done then........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is also a video from a Croatian YouTube channel where they are both turned on at the same time.
Here is a screenshot from that video>

By the way, the car was moving in this video.

·
37,764 Posts
They dont double up as fog lights do they...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They dont double up as fog lights do they...
Looks like they are also the front fog lights. But the problem is I don't know how to turn them on. I can turn the rear fog lights no problem.
Here is a picture of mine light stalk:
https://i.imgur.com/9uDKA8Z.jpg

And here is the one from the Croatian YouTube video:

I don't know how did they turned on the front fog lights?

·
Super Moderator
8,480 Posts
I have deleted the photos sorry.

You can upload photos from third party sites such as photobucket etc or even using the little paper clip at the top of the reply box.

We can't allow direct links though unfortunately as this comes under copyright from the other sites. The likes of YouTube don't come under this as they promote the fact that you can share there videos has they want the views/hits.

I hope you understand. We are just trying to protect the forum and yourself from any backlash..

·
37,764 Posts
Funny you should mention this, because I did today at the garage, had two MOT testers there,.. Both said the same, Front fog lights are not a testable item on the mot...
So then I asked the question, is it illegal to fit the fog lights to work with the main beam, and this was their reply, and I kid you not ..:idunno:
(Bearing in mind, one has been a tester for over 10 years, one 7)....

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
There is also a video from a Croatian YouTube channel where they are both turned on at the same time.
Here is a screenshot from that video>

By the way, the car was moving in this video.
HI

am I missing something here ?

the photo s both in auto what ever and the YouTube video both show the inner lights and LEDs on but the outer lights (the headlights) are not on

1 - 20 of 22 Posts