Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , hoping someone can help. I have a Y reg Clio that I got a couple of months ago for the wife but it only had one key. I went to get a spare key done and the guy in the shop said his machine did not see a transponder in the key.

When he opened up the key he said there was no transponder but what looked like a electric circuit type thing.

I got him to cut me a key (£30) so I could at least get into the car if I lose keys although this won't start it. If I touch the main key to the one cut it does start it. I have all the documents etc and the card with the key code etc.

My question is, should my key have a little transponder in the fob or is the electric circuit looking part all that you get with this key and therefore the shop be able to use the code to give me a spare key.

Any help much appreciated.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
The circuit type thing is basically a coded chip. When the ignition is turned on there is a circular aerial around the keyhole that energises and reads the chip inside the key.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madnoel10

Thanks for getting back to me , does that mean that the key number I have can be put onto a spare key with a transponder or do I have to do some different.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
his chip cloning machine should be able to read the chip in your key
but you are right on a change over if he gets an ID33 chip reading
then yes he can clone it on to a new chip and put it in the new key
but if he gets ID 46 etc then no he will not be able to clone it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prestige

What he said yesterday was that his machine wasn't reading anything and that I needed to go to Renault and get them to code my key then go back to him to make a spare. Does that make sense?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.