Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Clio Dynamique mk3 1.4 petrol 16v
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

If anyone could give me some advice about a fuel pressure regulator part I'd be so grateful.

I have a Renault Clio Dynamique mk3 1.4 16v petrol 2006 model.

I'll break it down...

Car runs okay. ever so slightly lumpy in idle however,

I get a smell of fresh petrol when starting the car up & petrol economy seems a bit below par.

I had a service done 5 weeks ago which I thought might rectify the problem but doesn't seem to have done that.

I asked the mechanic to see if he could check to find out what the cause could be. Also showed him this that comes up on the AA app. (I have a code reader in the slot)

He said it's the fuel pressure regulator that needs replacing.

That's great. Got a quote for 拢140 part & labour or 拢5 second hand from breakers. Well, I went with the latter option.

I can't seem to get hold of him now 馃し
I've tried to find the part myself on different websites but can't seem to find the part that is "compatible". If anyone could point me in the right direction or just show me what it looks like so I have a reference. I rang another garage to get a quote and they rang back and said my car doesn't even use that part because it isn't a diesel.... righhttt 馃槕馃槕馃槕

Just to add, my MOT is due on the weekend. If this part actually exists, it's probably best to get it fitted before then right? I'm confident it would pass but wouldn't want it to fail because of emissions 馃檲.

Bloody Nora!, why can't it be straight forward??馃槀馃槀

I'll patiently await anyone that can have any input 馃檹

Carmen

Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
you will need the OEM part number if you are going to find a Pattern Part that will work with your car, to get the part number you will need the 4 digit Vehicle Type code from the Oval Sticker on the drivers side B pillar, it is on the top left hand side of the oval sticker it will start "BR" or "CR" for mark 3 Clio
then go here - PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
find that 4 digit code in the column "vehicle type" then click and search all down the left hand side, if a fuel pressure regulator exists it will be there somewhere and it will give you the part number and you will see what it looks like

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
you will need the OEM part number if you are going to find a Pattern Part that will work with your car, to get the part number you will need the 4 digit Vehicle Type code from the Oval Sticker on the drivers side B pillar, it is on the top left hand side of the oval sticker it will start "BR" or "CR" for mark 3 Clio
then go here - PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
find that 4 digit code in the column "vehicle type" then click and search all down the left hand side, if a fuel pressure regulator exists it will be there somewhere and it will give you the part number and you will see what it looks like
Thank you, that is really helpful. I will have a look at that now 馃憤馃榾

Edit - I found the code and put it into that website. A whole lot of parts and pieces came up like "fuel filter" & "fuel gauge ring" but nothing matching the fuel regulator and/or pressure. Perhaps that garage was right in what they said? Who knows but I will continue to pursue it until I know what is going on.

Thanks again, I'm sure that page will come in handy in the future.

Premium Member
I know its not the answer to the original question but:

May I caution on P0300 and the jumping on the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit ......................... especially while you are reporting smelling raw unburnt fuel

Its extremely rare to have a faulty fuel pressure regulator and I suspect you will have to buy/replace a complete fuel rail if you really want to go down this route.

P0300 on a petrol engine in my experience is more often than not caused by a funky upstream O2 sensor or faulty sparkplugs and coils...................

Since the fuel pressure is not an instrumented parameter I am unclear on how EXACTLY the mechanic decided on the part to blame - there is a lot of plumbing to be modified before you can even attach a fuel pressure gauge to the rail with the idea to determine the fuel pressure behavior - if no serious faffing around was observed by the mechanic I would tend to call a halt to the replacement of the fuel pressure regulator and rather pursue the other way cheaper option of getting your own ELM327 dongle with Torque app and first confirming the operation of the O2 as well as getting a possible indication of the faulty/misfiring cylinder

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I know its not the answer to the original question but:

May I caution on P0300 and the jumping on the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit ......................... especially while you are reporting smelling raw unburnt fuel

Its extremely rare to have a faulty fuel pressure regulator and I suspect you will have to buy/replace a complete fuel rail if you really want to go down this route.

P0300 on a petrol engine in my experience is more often than not caused by a funky upstream O2 sensor or faulty sparkplugs and coils...................

Since the fuel pressure is not an instrumented parameter I am unclear on how EXACTLY the mechanic decided on the part to blame - there is a lot of plumbing to be modified before you can even attach a fuel pressure gauge to the rail with the idea to determine the fuel pressure behavior - if no serious faffing around was observed by the mechanic I would tend to call a halt to the replacement of the fuel pressure regulator and rather pursue the other way cheaper option of getting your own ELM327 dongle with Torque app and first confirming the operation of the O2 as well as getting a possible indication of the faulty/misfiring cylinder
Hi LvR,

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting, perhaps I am concentrating on the wrong part.

It could very well be another part causing these problems. I had a lambda sensor replaced in March (engine management light kept glowing) and also new spark plugs/coils shortly after as it started to misfire on the 3rd cylinder. I do believe there is another oxygen sensor so maybe that could be a culprit? Or maybe an injector? That error code could be aprevious one that wasn't cleared but I just don't know. 馃

The mechanic was mobile one so came to my address and carried out a service outside. He did a service and "checked" the problem in under an hour. Maybe it was more of a guess or presumption that led to his diagnosis.

It's my 1st car this, so not much experience with engines. Had to go with the advice of a pro.

I'm thinking I should just book the MOT and hope that it passes, if not I'll just have to find out the hard way 馃槄

Thanks for your help

Premium Member
Just me but if you cannot fault the operation of the engine/vehicle by pointing at a dash light, I would tend to ignore the code especially now that you have added the extra history ............ chances are its a "logged" only code now iso an "active" code ..................

MOT it if there is no dash light and I would say chances are good you will pass ................. If not I will hang my head in shame and we can work together to try and fix whatever is wrong THEN

About an hour before your MOT take it for longish run and get it nice and hot

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
With what you are saying, it may fail an MOT on emissions, unburnt fuel or overfueling will show in the exhaust gasses.

The petrol smell... is it a solid petrol smell or more traces?
Sorry, not sure I phrased that right.
What I am trying to work out is if the smell is unburnt fuel, which would lead towards the plugs, coils, O2 sensor and perhaps a few other things.... or neat petrol, which would suggest a leak and fueling problems due to that.

Premium Member
What @Dancingdad says there ................. however if there really is raw/unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust then I am willing to put a good chunk of money on the lambda sensor picking it up and causing a dash moan.

If there is just a smell of petrol around the engine its a totally different problem

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds
With what you are saying, it may fail an MOT on emissions, unburnt fuel or overfueling will show in the exhaust gasses.

What I am trying to work out is if the smell is unburnt fuel, which would lead towards the plugs, coils, O2 sensor and perhaps a few other things.... or neat petrol, which would suggest a leak and fueling problems due to that.

The petrol smell is unburnt smell, quite strong. Like when your at a petrol station. When sat in the drivers seat especially when the door or window is open it's right there in your face. I haven't deciphered whether it's coming from front or back of car. I'll have to have a sniff around lol might help get closer to figuring it out. There are no puddles where I park car and no obvious signs of any leaks. Could be on the inside of exhaust/engine though I suppose. Id be surprised if it was plugs or coils as just had service but anything can happen 馃し

Thanks

Just for information when we talk about Lamda and O2 Sensors we are talking about the same thing

Reactions: LvR

Premium Member
No, it went off when the lambda sensor was replaced 馃憤
This whole thing is starting to smell (sic) more and more like a leaky pipe/connector ................... and yes you will fail MOT on that if they find it so I would suggest you have a good whiff around to try and locate the source

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Just for information when we talk about Lamda and O2 Sensors we are talking about the same thing

That is what was printed on the invoice. I know they can have different names and be referred to as slightly different. I remember something about it sensing the amount of oxygen and fuel ect ect

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
This whole thing is starting to smell (sic) more and more like a leaky pipe/connector ................... and yes you will fail MOT on that if they find it so I would suggest you have a good whiff around to try and locate the source
Will do that tonight 馃憤
Thanks for the heads-up and thanks for your replies

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure it wasn't this

Awhh I'm really not sure 馃樀 in answer to you LvR, the petrol smell is coming from the back of the car, so the exhaust I imagine. Maybe that is normal. Anyway it's going in tomorrow so hopefully will find out more, and it will hopefully pass. I will come back with results either way and we can hopefully conclude this thread 馃榾

Carmen

unfortunatley if there is unburnt petrol in your exhaust gas, then you are looking at an emissions fail, sorry to say.
but it could be as simple as you have a leaking fuel filter, if thats the case then its a relativley cheap fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
unfortunatley if there is unburnt petrol in your exhaust gas, then you are looking at an emissions fail, sorry to say.
but it could be as simple as you have a leaking fuel filter, if thats the case then its a relativley cheap fix.
What would you do if it was your car? Would you just take in for mot tomorrow or would you try and sort problem first? Expires Saturday.

Thanks

I would be trying to find out exactly where the smell of fuel is coming from, start the car up and have a sniff at the exhaust gas, not a great lung full, just a sniff, if you cannot smell fuel in the gas, then I would be looking for a leak somewhere, the normal place for leaks is the fuel filter as you said the smell was down the back of the car, you may even see fuel leaking when the fuel system is pressurised

1 - 20 of 44 Posts