Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The roll bar bushes could be causing this problem but I would suspect wear in the ball joints or wishbone bushes modt likely to be the cause - I suggest you get it seen to ASAP before something breaks.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The roll bar bushes could be causing this problem but I would suspect wear in the ball joints or wishbone bushes modt likely to be the cause - I suggest you get it seen to ASAP before something breaks.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chris,

I am preparing my Clio II for an MOT and the front anti Roll Bar bushes are cracked at the bottom and I want to replace them. It looks like they should be easy enough to change at home with nothing more than a spanner and Alan Key. Is there anything more to it? Would appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Boeingpete

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking the old ones out are simple. Putting the new ones in involved lots of cursing and sweating as I could not compress the bush, hold the allen key and turn the nut at the same time.

Until I hit on the idea of lowering the Roll bar (wheel off of course) onto a wooden block, this compressed the rubber bush and job a good 'un

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Chris M,

Cheers for that. Been away at work last couple of days, so couldn't reply sooner, but will buy parts today and give it a go.

Boeingpete

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I doubt it's any easier on the mk1 but on the mk2 this is one of the worst jobs I have done. I tried lowering the anti roll bar down to compress it and it started compressing the springs before the anti roll bar bush nut would slip on.

If your experience is anything like mine I got 5 washers and tightened the bolt up with one and loosened adding an extra washer every time an repeating it. Pain in the backside but did compress it enough for me.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Tidyclio.

Both sides need doing but I'll just get one pair first and see how I get on with it. I've got various tools that should help compress the bush once its in possition and while I get the nut on. Would rather avoid doing it all together but I'm sure it will be picked up on the MOT and the bottom-line is that it will eventually have to be done.

Thanks again.

Boeingpete

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
@ tidyclio, I did mine with the wheel off so the springs were not compressed.
I think maybe my post was not very clear but I did it with the wheel removed aswell. I just meant that when I started to lower the car with support under the anti roll bar it compressed the bush a little but then the spring started to compress and rather than the bush.

I really cannot see why they don't make the bolt and extra 1cm longer surely there must be a reason behind it:crazy:

Remember and jack both sides up Pete, good luck.

Mark

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I shouldn't be saying this but many of the Renault techs cut a piece of the rubber bush. Also pouring hot water over the bushes softens them a bit - just enough to get them compressed enough to get a nut on.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi MadNoel10,

Another excellent tip. Hadn't thought of the hot water though I've used it on other components before to achieve the same effect. Good one.

Bought the linkbars/bushes today and will fit them tomorrow, and will certainly warm them up a bit before fitting, as they are rock hard new. Trimming them will be a last resort.

Shame we can't archive also this knowledge?

Cheers everyone,

Pete

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Pete thanks for the compliment - one other tip is to file the face of the nut (remove about 2 mm). If you look carefully at the securing nut you will see the threads have a slight countersink to allow easy starting but as this part has no thread its that bit more distance you have to compress. Every little bit helps. In the past before fitting (usually the night before) I have used a bolt and nut with two large washers - compressed the bushes after heating in hot water and then put in the freezer over night. I think its one of those jobs where every little bit helps.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi MadNoel10,

Well the jobs done.

Removal:
First one was, putting it politely, a pig!!i In the end I got the old pneumatic hacksaw out and cut the bolt above and below the centre section of the bush. On the second the bolt tapped out nicely with the hammer.

Fitting:
As expected there was no way the new ones were going to compress enough for the threaded end of the bolt to stand proud, so Noel and Chris M, I combined your suggestions, and first trimmed off a little from the top section of the bush, as the inserts on the middle section went right the way through and protruded quite a bit. I then put another jack under the roll bar and gently cranked it up until the bolt stood proud, and 'hey presto' the job was done. Total time about 1.5 hours.

It's perhaps worth noting for future reference that on both of the old bushes, it looked to me as though that on the upper section of the bushes, the bit that is supposed to insert into the hole (not sure what its called) had been removed or was never there in the first place, so my cutting a bit off is unlikely to have any impact.

Lastly, it may just be me but the tracking on the steering is now as good it was when I first bought the car in 1999.

Anyway, many thanks for all your help guys. I would have been absolutely pulling my hair out if I hadn't had your advice to guide me.

So what do you know about fixing.....................?
Just kidding. Thanks again.

Pete

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Well done Pete - many thanks for the update - looks like the renault techs., were right. If only they would make the bolt a bit longer it would be much easier and then if necessary you could cut or grind it to length. I have found that when working around steering and suspension it's always handy to have a small angle grinder handy.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts