Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post but i really need some tech help.

i bought the car and it was modded and it has a k & n filter attached to it,

it had the breather hose from the (rocker case?) going straight into the filter, 5 months after owning the car i noticed an oil/petrol solution dripping from my filter. so i took it off and cleaned it and discovered it was coming from the breather hose when revving.

i now have a cheap breather filter on the end of the breather pipe and it is still ouzing out of there leaving stains all over the road.

Is this to do with a depreciation in the PCV valve

(Excuses my novice behaviour, i dont even know if the car has a pcv valve as i know just over minimum about mechanics)

Can someone suggest a fix for my problem? thanks alot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not 100% sure on this one but I know we have a few mechs on site that will have an opinion. The breather is there for a reason though, in part it is a componenet of the emissions control system.

Try a forum search for K & N as I think it has been mentioned before.
will do, thanks alot :)

Unfortunately all the other threads jsut lead to cleaning the breather pipes, can someone help me locate them? the one i know about i just cleaned but it wasnt very dirty inside but it is definetly blowing out too much oil, i think there is too much pressure in the crankcase?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have done an oil and filter change including putting an engine flush in the engine before the change..

will monitor results

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Get rid of the KN filter and fit an original and see what happens - if no improvement it sounds like the piston rings are furbarred. Personally I wouldn't touch a second hand motor with a modded air intake I always get the feeling the engine and every thing else has been thrashesd to within an inch of its life.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get rid of the KN filter and fit an original and see what happens - if no improvement it sounds like the piston rings are furbarred. Personally I wouldn't touch a second hand motor with a modded air intake I always get the feeling the engine and every thing else has been thrashesd to within an inch of its life.:)
i certainly dont "thrash it" and the cambelt snapped as soon as i got it it had all 8 valves re done and everything (excuse my ignorance) i dont know all what they done but they done LOADS. do you think it could be the garages fault?

i dont think an original filter would change anything? considering its coming out the rocker cover through the breather pipe and not the air filter?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh Chris I wasn't suggesting you thrashed you motta - but you didn't state it had suffered a broken timing belt - it could be pistons or piston rings were also damaged (not an uncommon occurence) when the belt broke which would cause excessive blow past causing excessive crankcase pressure. You could also check if the flame trap guaze and baffle in the rocker cover is still in one piece because if has broken up or been removed it will cause oil to be ejected. Engines are designed whereby the crankcase operates at a slightly negative pressure and this is attained by being connected to the air intake system - sticking a fancy wee filter on the pipe is not a substitute. You could try having a look at the flame trap and baffle - on the other hand maybe the engine is just knackered and in all honesty I think it would be hard to prove the garage was at fault.:)
Additionally under EU law any waste gases in the crankcase must be circulated via the engine and vented via the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Just out of interest,how many miles has the car done and was there any service history with it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh Chris I wasn't suggesting you thrashed you motta - but you didn't state it had suffered a broken timing belt - it could be pistons or piston rings were also damaged (not an uncommon occurence) when the belt broke which would cause excessive blow past causing excessive crankcase pressure. You could also check if the flame trap guaze and baffle in the rocker cover is still in one piece because if has broken up or been removed it will cause oil to be ejected. Engines are designed whereby the crankcase operates at a slightly negative pressure and this is attained by being connected to the air intake system - sticking a fancy wee filter on the pipe is not a substitute. You could try having a look at the flame trap and baffle - on the other hand maybe the engine is just knackered and in all honesty I think it would be hard to prove the garage was at fault.:)
Additionally under EU law any waste gases in the crankcase must be circulated via the engine and vented via the exhaust.
can you talk me through on how to check the gauze? thanks alot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts