Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my son's just bought a Clio Mk2 1.2 16v 2004 and I was looking at the owner's manual, there seems to be various oil options.
Eurocarparts say you can bung in anything from 0W30 to 10W40 (and others in between). Is this right?

Mileage is 85000 so would I be better off at the thicker end - 10W40?

Also what make of oil filter do people recommend? I see two types being advertised for the car, a cartridge paper element, and a screw-on metal one, or does it take both? (Also confusing)

I have picked up a gates timing belt kit for it, as the seller didn't have documentation on the timing belt change, likely 4 years ago, and we have a haynes manual on the way.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
I have motors here over 200 000 still running on 0/30 or 5/30. There is a small fuel penalty going to the 40 and a slight delay in oil reaching the rubbing bits from cold start with a 10. There is a lot of advice available about going to thicker oils as the motor ages/wears. The idea is that thick oil seals up worn rings. Well that would need to be a problem first. I've yet to see thick oil fixing anything.
Check the ACEA grade as well as viscosity. At a guess your handbook will suggest A1/A3/A5
When I'm not using OEM, I will take a Mann filter. There are others out there that are good but also some horrors. Find the filter on your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Brendan.

Found it only just it's tiny, looks like the 66mm metal can one then. Yeah Mann are ok, as are FRAM in my book.

Found a Mann 4011558740108 seems to be the right size. Bosch seem to be another option but never used them for oil, only fuel.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,276 Posts
Friends don't let friends stick in thicker oil.
The difference in viscosity, especially when cold can seriously FUBAR parts that need oil fast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having seen the tiny size of the oil filter I can believe that, I am used to filters twice the size or more in all directions, admittedly for a V8. So I imagine it would be quite restrictive when cold, so I'll go for a 0W or 5W oil.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
0 can be quite a bit more expensive than 5 and not as easily available. If you peer very hard at the manufacturers some the zeroes and fives are not too far apart. Unless the manufacturer is being specific about zero, or I lived in the same estate as Santa, I will go 5W30.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it seems that way. Any problems using a "C3" oil, which seems to be catalyst compatible?

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Yes it seems that way. Any problems using a "C3" oil, which seems to be catalyst compatible?
That would be an ecumenical matter:)
What does the handbook say?
Oil manufacturers, API and the ACEA will say things like newer oil specs are backward compatible. A car that was built for A3/B4 will be happy with A5/B5 and that the C grades are ok.
Well maybe. The drive in oil development seems to be reducing viscosity to hit fuel and hence CO2 numbers and not to interfere with increasingly intrusive catalyst and DPF systems. I do not believe in free lunches and my gut says that there is something being compromised. A good example is the gradual elimination of the ZDDP content form modern oils for environmental reasons.
That said I have used A5/B5 in motors where A3/B4 was specified. I would not put a modern 10W40 into my 80s bike. Instead I use an old school light truck fleet diesel with a better additive package for load bearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly I just found another thread recommending 5W40 too...

So I suppose it is a matter of religious belief.....

Don't get me started on ZDDP, I have to search that out for my old skool lump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interestingly - Haynes manual also says 10W50 is OK to use....

Timing belt kit has arrived but the belt isn't a Gates, so I'll buy a Gates Powergrip separately, looks like a 5577XS is the one to get.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil change done. Do need to jack it up, catch pan went under the sump.
Made a drain plug key from a hex drive ground down square to fit. It's a funny size!
THe worst part was getting the filter to move not much room in there to get the chain wrench on.
Engine took 3.5l to get to 5mm above the low mark on the dipstick, after running the engine to fill the filter.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,276 Posts
Don't think I need to say but check oil tomorrow and top up as needed.... sneak up on the high level mark, too much can be as bad as too little.

And yeah, 8mm square drive..... why not a 6mm (1/4) or 10mm (3/8) is anyone's guess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts