Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clio is now on 126k, I replaced the cam belt at 70k but have not replaced the drive belt, would it be advisable to replace the drive beltbtensioner when changing drive belt?

·
Sexy at 71 super duper mod..
23,902 Posts
My clio is now on 126k, I replaced the cam belt at 70k but have not replaced the drive belt, would it be advisable to replace the drive belt tensioner when changing drive belt?

At 126k you need another change of cam belt and associated parts..when you remove a serpentine belt.[I take it thats what you mean ] always replace it with a new one and this time change the tensioner..hows the water pump ok is it ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, about the tensioner is that the alternator or a completely different part?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i replaced the cam belt at 70 k water pump was not replaced, as far as im aware, i've had no leaks or problems with the water pump

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,979 Posts
The logic is that replacing the water pump is a tiny bit of extra work when doing the cam belt, but if it fails you have to take the cambelt off and change it anyway. So you might as well do them together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do definately. Do you have a link to an image for a tensioner? Confused as to what it looks like

·
23,902 Posts
Cheers mate, about the tensioner is that the alternator or a completely different part?
Your garage section has not been filled in that would give us more info on whats under the bonnet..one tensioner does not fit all..:smile2:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, at 126k is there anything else that I would need to consider replacing i.e transmission, suspension and steering etc

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was quoted for labour only from independant garage £130 for cam belt, water pump, tensioners and serpentine belt, is that a good price?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've had a look at the eurocarparts site, for my drive belt I have various options, 2 options with alternator, 1 with pas with air con and 1 with pas without aircon, im pretty sure my car has electric power steering but no air con, its a 16v 1.149cc, as for the alternator, would I need to replace belt for that? Other clio models (phase1) have this

Edit: There is also an option for a timing belt deflection/guide pulley, is this basically a tensioner for the timing belt sold seperatley from a kit?

·
23,902 Posts
I've had a look at the eurocarparts site, for my drive belt I have various options, 2 options with alternator, 1 with pas with air con and 1 with pas without aircon, im pretty sure my car has electric power steering but no air con, its a 16v 1.149cc, as for the alternator, would I need to replace belt for that? Other clio models (phase1) have this

Edit: There is also an option for a timing belt deflection/guide pulley, is this basically a tensioner for the timing belt sold seperatley from a kit?
Labour charge is a good one..your clio has two 1.2 16v engine and we dont know which one you have..the engines are D4F 712 and D4f 722..if you get a garage to do it let him supply the parts..if you do and anything goes wrong then you bet your bottom dollar he will say you supplied the parts so its not my problem..plus if you supply him the wrong parts for the job then that will just hold up the job when you book it in..:smile2:

The Mk2 did have various belt configurations some have a single serpentine belt and some had two ordinary type fan type belts and as you say some had electric power steering and some did have a hydraulic power steering pump..another reason why it might be better to let the garage supply the parts..

·
23,902 Posts
My engine code is d4f712 if that helps...
Not really..when you look at parts databases..they give you the parts covering all engines..you have to make the selection which is appropriate for your car.. they take for granted that you know what fits your car so they leave the selection to you..I personally have had problems with ECP and what they tell you what fits your car..so you need to look hard at what needs replacing and make sure you are getting the correct ones if your supplying parts to a mechanic..this is why its often best if your not sure to let them select for peace of mind..:smile2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts