Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Folks,

I need to change my rear brakes as the seals have gone and leaked fluid everywhere. But, I have the option of either Bosch or Lucas brake kits to get. I've no idea what I've got because it's not written on any of the visible parts. Please can anyone identify what I've got from the photos?

Thanks for any help/suggestions that you can give to identify my brake type (I'm 110 miles away from my closest Renault dealer so I can't just take the parts in and ask). I want to buy a replacement kit for the slave cylinders and pads.

Thanks, psyberyeti

ps I hope my pictures have uploaded when I submit....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a look on the master cylinder or one of the front brake calipers
Hello danthevan, the front brakes are Lucas calipers. The master cylinder though does not have anything written on it that i can see. I am assuming that just because the front brakes are Lucas does not mean that the rear brakes will be the Lucas as well. I have cleaned and scrapped the rear slaves but there is nothing written on them.
psyberyeti

D

·
0 Posts
Usually they will use the same system on the whole car rather than mix and match.
You may find it written on one of the dust shields on the rear cylinder if you look carefully

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually they will use the same system on the whole car rather than mix and match.
You may find it written on one of the dust shields on the rear cylinder if you look carefully
Thanks danthevan. I found the "Lucas" name on the undernside of the slave cylinder, behind the brake shoe. They don't make things easy. Thanks for your advice.
psyberyeti

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sadly there are there are three possibilities. Renault do a have a nasty habit of chopping and changing brake components during manufacturing. Many a poor mechanic has found to his cost.

First measure the width of the shoes - then the diameter of the drum. Usually they are either 180mm or 203mm in diameter and their widths will either be 42mm or 38mm.
Secondly what really sets them apart is either they will have or won't have roll pins pressed into one shoe.

If going to a Renault dealer hopefully they should be able to supply the correct parts based on the cars VIN number - if not taking a photo and measurements along to the parts counter they should be able to sort you out.

Be prepared to pay dear for Renault shoes though - I have seen prices of up to £70 quoted for a set of shoes whereas after-market units are available from £15 or so.

Also I haven't seen brake cylinder repair kits for years so expect to buy new cylinders.:)

Try the link below - it shows the different shoes and cylinders available.

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/search.php?cat=friction

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to identify if I have Bosch or Lucas brakes. I can't see any logos on the callipers and the master cylinder just has a Renault logo and loads of numbers on it. Does anyone know where the logos normally are? Or if I can tell what brakes they are by referring to the numbers on the master cylinder?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
If you posted up the year of the car plus what components you are trying to identify you'll stand a much better chance of getting replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to identify if I have Bosch or Lucas brakes. I can't see any logos on the callipers and the master cylinder just has a Renault logo and loads of numbers on it. Does anyone know where the logos normally are? Or if I can tell what brakes they are by referring to the numbers on the master cylinder?
2003 Clio and I'm trying to buy new brake shoes. Can't see Bosch or Lucas on the brakes anywhere.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Try inputting your reg into www.eurocarparts.com 's website, that will give you part numbers for cross-referencing purposes.

HTH

Paul

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,926 Posts
Mine is according to the parts man a Lucas one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking to replace the rear shoes on my car. Im hoping to do it this weekend but don't have the tools with me now to take the hubs off etc. to have a look now so I'm trying to work out which I'll need for my car.

It's a 1999 T reg 1.2 8v Ph1 Mk2 Clio.

Will this need Lucas or Bosch brakes?

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
hi have a look on the brake backplates the make is sometimes on the plate.The problem you will have if the brakes have already been changed with non gen parts the make wont be on the shoes.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It may be worth checking out the Apec braking site - it catalogue usually give diagrams for indentification.

Having said that Renault do have a habit of choppng and cahnging during production as many a poor mechanic has discovered to his/her cost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sounds like the easiest idea might be to buy all three options available from EuroCarParts and then just return the 2 that don't match the existing once I get the rear drums off :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts