Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought this car and within a few days a squeekin noise is occuring when braking, this is really embarrassing since my last car (corsa vxr) had this as a constant problem.

I would like to know as a newbie to cars really what is causing the noise before some mechanic tries to have my pants down. its unbearable but surely the pads dont need replacing yet do they?

Jay

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
There are numerous reasons for squealing brakes - worn or dirty brake pads is on example.
It may be the pads need replacing but you don't say how many miles are on the car.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah it has just under 36 tho but it had its service in july but that was before i bought it so cant say what the brakes has left but i wouldnt imagine they would sell a car and service it with low brakes, against the law or does this happen?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have seen brake pads wear out in 15K miles - it depends on what type of use they've had. Town driving will wear brakes quicker than say long haul motorway trips.

Also what type of service was carried out - maybe the pads were due renewal but the owner declined especially if he/she was thinking of getting rid of the car.
The legal condition of the car is entirely the responsibility of the driver/owner.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be your brake pads
They can wear down very quickly
Also if they're ok when the car's getting serviced some places may just leave them until they do need replaced
When i bought my MK3 clio it had been serviced the week before i got it and i ended up having to put new brake pads on it a month later

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a garage look at this today said pads abs discs are brand new don't need replacing I guess they need bedding in but jeez it's bad my gf heard me comin home next street on bit embarrassing I think

Cheers

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
If the pads/discs are close to new, maybe the pistons are sticking after being pushed back to allow the new parts fitted? Jack up one wheel, spin it and have someone apply the brakes and release them. Spin it again and if it squeaks after stopping, it's likely the calliper piston not returning fully into the cylinder after brakes are let off.
Have a workshop check them if you can't do it yourself.
if you are able to work on it yourself, take the pads out and put some anti-squeal of some sort on the pad/calliper contact area. There's various adhesive type products or copper greases that stop the pads rattling in the cradle, which causes most squeals of pads.
Check the handbrake adjustment also. Apply and release the handbrake first thing in the morning. Drive for a few minutes and see how warm the rear brakes are after just one quick stop. If they feel overly warm, then it might be too tight and rubbing also?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts