Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a strange problem yesterday,
My OH came back from town reporting a hot smell from the car, and sure enough the rear offside wheel was hot.
So, I thought, sticky caliper sliders, I know how to solve that!
Once cool I took the wheel off and found no problem, both sliders were perfect.
Handbrake on and off a few times, footbrake down and off again, wheel behaving normally!
No problem with the wheel bearing either.

Only thought is: does the handbrake connection stick on sometimes?

Super mod..
When damn pads can stick when stood for a while.. in your case it might be a calliper piston sticking.. check that one out..馃檪

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
Could be OH didn't release the handbrake fully?
Or as said, piston sticking.
Or we have seen flexies breaking up inside to fluid is trapped and does not release...often when flexies have been clamped.
If you are not finding anything obvious, take it for a run and see if it repeats.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, thanks for replies. I took it for a drive, and there was no repeat of the problem, all wheels totally cold after the same 5-mile journey.
Piston is a thought, but I'll need to wait for it to happen again before I delve into that. Don't want to get into fluid loss and bleeding unless I really have to.
On my drive I tried pulling up the handbrake but the car bleeps and the red warning light comes on with the first click, handbrake doesn't drag until 3 clicks, so I think OH would have noticed and told me ... unless too embarrassed!
Also both wheels are dragging the same; when I felt the wheels yesterday it was definitely only the offside wheel that was hot.
Will keep trying ....

Hate those faults.
Can't fix it cos you don't know what it is, can't get it to repeat, living on tenterhooks for it to happen again.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Not to much brake fluid in, have you checked

Registered
The only thing I can think off, is piston sticking through rust buildup maybe? Had the same issue on a Kia Rio. Tried cleaning the pistons up, but the problem came back. So just purchase a complete rebuild kit. Job went really smoothly. The worst part was bleeding the brakes again.

Super mod..
Faced with this [rebuild ] yes its easy enough but far quicker to just replace the calliper..

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
ALWAYS hold brake pedal down, once you have undone a bleed nipple, or cracked a brake pipe
You will never have a problem bleeding brakes then
VERY rarely do I even undo a bleed nipple when changing a brake pipe
Cut the pipe, force pedal down and hold.
Fit new pipe, leave the brake pipe lose at the part nearest the caliper/cylinder release pedal, go have a brew.
Finish brew, go back pump pedal 3 times fasten pipe up
Air cannot enter where fluid is .
so you are only bleeding where the pipe fits

Him at the garage goes spare, he wants a full bleed, I just pass him the spanners and walk away

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALWAYS hold brake pedal down, once you have undone a bleed nipple, or cracked a brake pipe
You will never have a problem bleeding brakes then
^^ This is interesting .... I assume pushing the brake pedal down to the bottom moves the master cylinder piston beyond the reservoir, so no fluid can drain out? Not heard that method before, but if it works it sounds like a good one.

Anyway, today the OH took it to town and back and - guess what - it came back hot, with smoke coming off the caliper!
So I immediately jacked it up whilst hot, let the handbrake off and the wheel span with no problem! D'oh ...
Pushed the brake pedal down and up a few times, wheel locking and releasing correctly.
Can't imagine what on earth is going on.
馃槩

Registered
^^ This is interesting .... I assume pushing the brake pedal down to the bottom moves the master cylinder piston beyond the reservoir, so no fluid can drain out? Not heard that method before, but if it works it sounds like a good one.

Anyway, today the OH took it to town and back and - guess what - it came back hot, with smoke coming off the caliper!
So I immediately jacked it up whilst hot, let the handbrake off and the wheel span with no problem! D'oh ...
Pushed the brake pedal down and up a few times, wheel locking and releasing correctly.
Can't imagine what on earth is going on.
馃槩
You 100% sure that your pads are running free as a bird?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Registered
Hi all, I was browsing calipers on Ebay, (before I have another look at ours) and noticed that some of them have a return spring for the handbrake mechanism on the back of the caliper, does anyone know more about this, i.e. could the spring have failed? Can clearly be seen in some of the pictures on this one:
A-Premium Rear Left Brake Caliper for for Renault Clio MK3 Grandtour Modus | eBay
Could very well be. Well spotted ClioAutomatic. Try WD40 on your springs. Take it for a spin and see if it's helped things.

Three types of caliper springs.
One is external, clearly visible.
One is internal and not so easy to see.... need to operate handbrake and ensure lever is returning to stop
One is internal but has external mounting point...often found on a refurb unit..... check as internal above.

If the lever returns to stop when handbrake released, unit should be okay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the lever returns to stop when handbrake released, unit should be okay.
^^ Managed to get outside and get the wheel off this afternoon.
And duplicated the fault!
Handbrake on one side (offside) isn't returning to the end stop, intermittently.
At this point I can't tell if the cause is the caliper or the handbrake cable; looks like I'll have to take the caliper off and separate the two to give them each a good tug and find out.

Like you say, split cable from lever and see which one is sticking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like you say, split cable from lever and see which one is sticking.
Update:
Checked and they are both sticking! So, I'm ordering a caliper and a cable.
Will be fitting when they come....
Interesting that the cable isn't the same for both disk and drum, so the disk version is harder to find, but they look the same in the pictures!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts