·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,589 Posts
Brake shoes have a spring on the cable for releasing
Caliper uses its own internals or a spring separate from the cable

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
21,650 Posts
Caliper will often free with a liberal dose of penatrating oil around lever entry.
Sticky cable..... usually inner sheath breaking up and no remedy AFAIK.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update:
New caliper is on, and new handbrake cable still awaited. I've eased the cable by pulling it back and forth and adding some good old WD40, then grease, at the caliper end.
But it looks like DancingDad is right, the inner cable has a plastic coating over the stranded wire and it's breaking up, so it's able to snag where it exits the outer sheath.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Has anyone ever fitted a handbrake cable to a Clio mk3?
I had a look underneath and it looks like it disappears over the exhaust, which could make it a bit awkward at the front end?

·
21,650 Posts
Not done one specifically on the Clio but principle is common.
Get to the end by the handbrake lever... centre console remove??
Undo and tie a decent piece of string to the end before pulling the cable out..... you can then use that as an aid/guide to pull the new one through any awkward bits, like over exhaust.
It's a lot easier when you can have one person underneath pushing/guiding and one on top providing a little assistance by pulling on the string.... did I say decent string, you don't want it to snap half way through.

·
Super mod..
26,448 Posts

• Loosen the adjusting nut (1) for the parking brake cables enough to be able to remove the parking brake cables.
  • Remove the parking brake cables (2) at the control lever.
  • Unclip the sheath (3) from its stop on the bodywork using a pair of pliers.

• Remove the parking brake cables (7) at the brake callipers.

• Unclip the parking brake cables from their guides (8).
  • Remove the parking brake cables:
Refitting is the reverse and over to you.. stay dirty..

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,251 Posts
Had similar bother with the Grand Scenic. Penetrating oil on the caliper fixed it for a while. Eventually replaced the caliper and the cable. Both seemed to be at fault. I recall forgetting to take out the bush thing where the cable passes into the body and scratching my head for a bit wondering why the cable would not come all the way through.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update:
New cable has arrived; will be [attempting] fitting it on Sunday. :)
Hmm, bad news chaps, I spent this morning under the Clio and couldn't do this (simple) task of changing the handbrake cable!
Two issues: It's clipped in to the body at the front end with a squeeze-plastic-clip type of non-return grommet, and I just couldn't get enough leverage to squeeze them in (even with pliers). I considered cutting through them, that would do it, but only as a last resort.
The other problem is from underneath, the cable goes over the exhaust and in between the body and the heat shield, almost impossible to reach round it.
It may be possible if fully up on a ramp, but it's not a DIY job in this car!
Maybe I need Phil's hydraulic ramps, that would at least get it a bit higher!
No problem with the other bits of the job, took centre console off and unclipped the cable from the equiliser plate very easily, and similarly at the caliper end.

Looks like I need to take it to a garage. :mad:

·
21,650 Posts
The other problem is from underneath, the cable goes over the exhaust and in between the body and the heat shield, almost impossible to reach round it.
Bit of string ???

Gotta picture of the grommet/clip??

·
21,650 Posts
Ok, know what you mean now.
If you have a piece of pipe or socket with a suitable diameter... or drill a hole in summat to suit, push it over and gie it a smack wiv an 'ammer.
Diameter should be just large enough to rest on the legs just after the "hinge"
Or you can often drive one leg then the other with a screwdriver and a hammer.
Mind you, as you have a new one...cut them!

It does rather depend on whether you are confident to get the new one over the exhaust and in?

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is the new one, old one is the same but black not yellow.
Only the small yellow bit pokes through the floor, the large black rubber washer is on the outside.
View attachment 190706
Where abouts are you located? If you live in North Wales near the abergele area. Let me know and I'll get your car on a hydraulic lift so you can get your car done.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Where abouts are you located? If you live in North Wales near the abergele area. Let me know and I'll get your car on a hydraulic lift so you can get your car done.
Hi Ceex, Thank you for that, although I'm not near North Wales, but by random co-incidence my mum is just the other side of Conwy from you! No plans to visit her yet ....
It does seem to need a lift for this job. I'm guessing an hour's labour at the garage should do it. At least I managed to change the caliper myself, & that saved a lot of pounds.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you have a piece of pipe or socket with a suitable diameter... or drill a hole in summat to suit, push it over and gie it a smack wiv an 'ammer.
Diameter should be just large enough to rest on the legs just after the "hinge"

It does rather depend on whether you are confident to get the new one over the exhaust and in?
That's quite a good idea, I hadn't thought of. An ordinary double-hex socket should do it.
But as you say, i also need to be sure I can reach the other side. It's amazing how little wriggle room there is over the exhaust heat shield. I'm guessing the 1.6 has a bigger silencer than a lesser model.

·
37,589 Posts
Hmm, bad news chaps, I spent this morning under the Clio and couldn't do this (simple) task of changing the handbrake cable!
Two issues: It's clipped in to the body at the front end with a squeeze-plastic-clip type of non-return grommet, and I just couldn't get enough leverage to squeeze them in (even with pliers). I considered cutting through them, that would do it, but only as a last resort.
It may be possible if fully up on a ramp, but it's not a DIY job in this car!
Maybe I need Phil's hydraulic ramps, that would at least get it a bit higher!
No problem with the other bits of the job, took centre console off and unclipped the cable from the equiliser plate very easily, and similarly at the caliper end.

Looks like I need to take it to a garage. :mad:
Can you get at the part that goes into the car,
long screwdriver, force it under the seal where it goes into the car
Now hit the screwdriver, this will break a couple of tabs off
From inside the car,a bit of string over the nipple, ENOUGH that when you pull the cable out, it will reach
3/8 extension bar, from the inside, hit the part of the handbrake thats inside of the car.
One good hard smack will force it out
( After you have smacked it one from underneath, I use a long lever bar myself , but a screwdriver will do if its long enough )
Now pull cable through, tie string around the nipple, smear grease on the part that goes through, and on the seal , slowly push the cable back in place
From inside guide it
Its getting up and down off the floor a few times here, checking you are pulling it through.
DONT worry about it going all the way home
Fit cable(s), adjust handbrake
DONT put all parts back in covering handbrake adjuster,
Take it for a run, and as you drive pull handbrake lever on, The handbrake cable will pop in to the bodywork,
Come back, adjust brakes, and refit consul
Simples

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update: Time and weather were against me today, so I'll try again at the weekend if I can get some wide ramps. My old metal ramps are only good up to about 175 width tyres, and most cars have wider wheels than that now.
What do you guys think of the plastic ramps?

·
21,650 Posts
What do you guys think of the plastic ramps?
Don't like them and would never trust them.
They will probably be okay for a few years but plastic can break down over time, UV or even water (depending on plastic), not to mention loss of plasticisers.
Could be worrying about nuffink but if it's me under the car, it's my choice.

My metal ones are good for the 205s on my Kia BTW

·
37,589 Posts
How would you do this job on Ramps, Axle stands needed here,
Ramps are not high enough,
Putting back end up on ramps will make front end really dip, you are after the centre, its axle stands front and rear on passenger side of the car

21 - 40 of 40 Posts