Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My pride and joy (16 Reg Clio Mk4 63000miles) has decided to give me a headache. About a week ago she decided to alert me to a message "Check Injection System" and the orange service/spanner light.

Luckily I have one of the OBD2 connector things I got the Code 1453 which is a fuel pressure valve malfunction, some looking around online suggested it was a perished pipe.

Thought since I have no free time I'd pop it into the a local garage, they said to do a diagnostic so ended up doing that (is it a surprise they got the same codes I got on my phone for free?馃槀)

They went on to suggest it's more likely a DFP based on the symptoms (Rev Limited, fuel consumption, lack of long distance journeys recently)

They advised me to do above 50 in 3rd for more than 20miles at once... did it and well it was successful for about 100 miles (which was about 3hrs later) but was longest period since the error popped up.

I did some more digging today, it seems the regen process may not start in some situations such as having below a quarter tank etc. So earlier today I filled her up 3/4 of the way and just completed a 70 mile round trip as another attempt. 馃馃 it's worked.

I read online the DPF needs to be 600+掳c for the regen to work. I did have my OBD2 attached, so was watching the filter temperature. About 50 miles in suddenly it spiked from about 300掳c to roughly 700-800掳c for about 15 miles or so. I assume this may have been what I was waiting for.

My question is, if that fails to come through and tomorrow or over the next week and comes back up. Is there anything else I could do personally, with the aid of a garage(and a lot money 馃槀)

Also, any idea how to tell if it's possibly a sensor problem? (I ask since the data from the DPF, except the temperature probes, is the only thing that doesn't come up on any off the apps I've used. I'm not sure if it's the apps arent coded for the clio codes for that or something else 馃槀)

How easy is it change the sensor myself?, I have the tools etc, how long of a job?

Any methods of cleaning the filter any other way? Fuel liquids etc that are good?

Sorry for a long winded post, but any help would be appreciated! 馃槉馃槉

Premium Member
About 50 miles in suddenly it spiked from about 300掳c to roughly 700-800掳c for about 15 miles or so. I assume this may have been what I was waiting for.
Id say given that its happened (a successful completion of an auto regen as and when the ECU wanted to do it) you don't have an instrumentation issue and wouldn't worry about it anymore.

Also, any idea how to tell if it's possibly a sensor problem? (I ask since the data from the DPF, except the temperature probes, is the only thing that doesn't come up on any off the apps I've used. I'm not sure if it's the apps arent coded for the clio codes for that or something else 馃槀)
If you don't have a scanner app able to give you the temperatures, pressures and soot contents associated with the DPF, its basically impossible ................ the fact that an auto regen got triggered and completed successfully though means you probably don't have a sensor problem

if that fails to come through and tomorrow or over the next week and comes back up.
Don't know what you mean - an auto regen is not triggered daily (or then shouldn't be) ........... its triggered when needed and conditions allow ..............if you drive mainly short distances and never gets things really hot enough, an auto regen will NOT be triggered - even if its required - it does however NOT mean you have an sensor/instrumentation problem

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what you mean - an auto regen is not triggered daily (or then shouldn't be) ........... its triggered when conditions allow ..............if you drive mainly short distances and never gets things really hot enough, an auto regen will NOT be triggered - even if its required - it does however NOT mean you have an sensor/instrumentation problem
[/QUOTE]

Hi man, thanks for your reply. I meant if after what I suspected what the auto regen last night, if the warning light returns over the next few days. Sorry 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know what you mean - an auto regen is not triggered daily (or then shouldn't be) ........... its triggered when conditions allow ..............if you drive mainly short distances and never gets things really hot enough, an auto regen will NOT be triggered - even if its required - it does however NOT mean you have an sensor/instrumentation problem
Hi, thanks for your reply. I meant if after what I suspected what the auto regen last night, if the warning light returns over the next few days. Sorry 馃槀

Premium Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I meant if after what I suspected what the auto regen last night, if the warning light returns over the next few days. Sorry 馃槀
If an auto regen successfully completed last night chances are a regen wouldn't be required for probably at least 100 miles + of typical city only driving................... If the light returns I would interpret it as telling you to take the thing for an Italian tuneup

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If an auto regen successfully completed last night chances are a regen wouldn't be required for probably at least 100 miles + of typical city only driving................... If the light returns I would interpret it as telling you to take the thing for an Italian tuneup
The second I started up the car again this morning the light and warning returned 馃檭 just perfect...
Popped it in the garage again they think it's possibly a faulty sensor then
Do you know if it's an easy job, if I decide to change it myself? 馃槀馃槀

Premium Member
Easy enough job on the sensor................ issue is who/what is telling them its the sensor and not something else? ................... eg a split hose to the sensor etc etc etc

Let the garage supply you with substantiating reasons like a log of a trip with the vehicle - the log should contain pre and post cat pressures and temperatures, DPF soot content in grams for the time its driven

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Easy enough job on the sensor................ issue is who/what is telling them its the sensor and not something else? ................... eg a split hose to the sensor etc etc etc

Let the garage supply you with substantiating reasons like a log of a trip with the vehicle - the log should contain pre and post cat pressures and temperatures, DPF soot content in grams for the time its driven
My original thought was a hose split from looking around online at the 1543 fault was fixed from a hose replacement

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Any idea exactly how to get to the DPF Sensor? I can't seem to find any easy way to get to it 馃槀

Registered
Talking of DPF sensors.
One interesting thing is my 2012 2.0 DCI Espace has only one sensor. Pre DPF. Only this one shows up in clip. Visually there has been no other fitted post DPF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts