Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

At my whits end here so thought I would post a thread to see if anyone has had this problem/has a solution.

Basically my MkIII Clio has failed it's emissions test due to a faulty catalytic convertor, I was told that the garage can get me one but obviously they tend to be pricey, after searching around for a non-genuine one and finding nothing from numerous places i ended up agreeing to go for the genuine part. This is where it got interesting. I was then told the part was on back order through Renault as they didn't have it in stock, then a week later i was advised that they no longer make that part, and no such non-genuine exists.

The issue is with the engine type, it's a 1.6 GT VVT (Engine type K4M862) so they upped it to 128BHP and apparently the exact CAT that is needed just doesn't exist other than looking for a second hand one off the same car. Which is obviously extremely hard to come by.

I just don't understand how i can be told that a car which is perfectly fine (apart from emissions) not even 10 years old and has less than 50k miles on it is basically not worth anything because the part it needs can't be found to pass an MOT. After talking to Renault UK customer services about this they have advised they're under no legal obligation to make parts for cars older than 8 years (which was 2 months ago for this) so basically they can't do anything which isn't want i wanted to hear.

Has anyone come across this issue before? I understand that the car is a rare engine etc but surely something would fit it? I'm not going to be the only one with this issue in the country or even the world i presume.

Any help or advice on this situation would be gratefully appreciated as at the moment my hard earned money into a car i love is currently useless.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

Looking into the listing it shows slightly different things such as engine code and BHP but comparison checker says it's compatible, i've contacted the seller to check. Fingers crossed! Can anyone confirm if it is correct? If they can't.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,254 Posts
One part number = 140045289R would think this is yours as no price for it..

This one = 8200940152 still showing a price for it ( usually means they can get it) Both fit a BR10, or CR10..

( Taking this as being your Vehicle type code, just under the Vin number on your Oval plate, sticker in drivers door )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate this, you've been more help in an hour than i've had in over a week.

The part number i got from the garage is the one you gave (8200940152) but through trying to order one they've said the no longer do it and can't get it.

And i'll have to check on the vehicle code tomorrow, but i'll find that out too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately the eBay one wasn***8217;t compatible, still searching on the other part number for prices...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem.
Went to my local Renault dealer for a quote on the cat...£920 and it isn't available.
My mechanic suggested welding in a universal cat underneath the car so fingers crossed that will get her through the test.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
5,400 Posts
Went to my local Renault dealer for a quote on the cat...£920 and it isn't available.
My mechanic suggested welding in a universal cat underneath the car so fingers crossed that will get her through the test.
So EXACTLY what is the same problem?

What is the history of the problem and a detailed description?

What was done to fault find and arrive at this imo suspect solution?

What are the current logged errors on the car - obtained with a Renault speaking scanner like CLIP.................

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
It's not DTC errors from the car it's the British MOT (Ministry of Transport) roadworthiness test (required annually for all vehicles >3 years old, unless it's old enough to be a "classic" vehicle), for some time now the test requires a gas analyser shoved up the exhaust; it's failing the test on emissions being too high, aka out of range, I'm guessing too much CO2, altho I thought all a cat did was to burn up unburnt fuel.

Possible garage is trying it on, trying to tell him needs an expensive part, except it's not avaialble.

·
Technical Supremo.
5,400 Posts
Yeah I gathered as much, but surely if the cat is a goner with low distance covered, there must be an underlying problem - hopefully a DTC or error message at least stored if not active, else an analysis by a competent soul of the mixture formation/control state on the vehicle ..................... because if left as is the replacement unicorn cat is going to go the same way

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah my car failed on high co2.
The mechanic initially thought it was the lambda sensor (which I've since had changed at a different garage) but mentioned if the sensor hasn't been working correctly for some time the engine probably hasn't been running efficiently which he said in turn could have damaged the cat.

The mot re-test was due today but we unofficially tested the emissions first and the co2 is still the same.
The car would have failed again and i'd have to pay £50 to do another mot.

So he said the next thing to try would be the cat but the problem being Renault discontinued the part in 2018.
Seen a few second hand ones but they are expensive and they could be exactly the same as my current one.

He suggested getting a universal cat, cutting a section out and welding it in place. I ordered one earlier for £135 and should have it by friday.
I hope it works as the car's mot has now expired and I'm due back in work monday morning so I need to get it fixed asap.
Also on a tight budget this month.
I've added the test results underneath.

It's worth noting this is the first mot I've put it through and looks like it passed the emissions fine last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah my car failed on high co2.
The mechanic initially thought it was the lambda sensor (which I've since had changed at a different garage) but mentioned if the sensor hasn't been working correctly for some time the engine probably hasn't been running efficiently which he said in turn could have damaged the cat.

The mot re-test was due today but we unofficially tested the emissions first and the co2 is still the same.
The car would have failed again and i'd have to pay £50 to do another mot.

So he said the next thing to try would be the cat but the problem being Renault discontinued the part in 2018.
Seen a few second hand ones but they are expensive and they could be exactly the same as my current one.

He suggested getting a universal cat, cutting a section out and welding it in place. I ordered one earlier for £135 and should have it by friday.
I hope it works as the car's mot has now expired and I'm due back in work monday morning so I need to get it fixed asap.
Also on a tight budget this month.
I've added the test results underneath.

It's worth noting this is the first mot I've put it through and looks like it passed the emissions fine last year.
View attachment 182263

·
Technical Supremo.
5,400 Posts
This is what I am getting at .................... surely there must have been indicators like a light on the dash or some other issue to make one suspect this already if this was the case?

The lambda figure of yours at around 2500rpm especially .............. that is a clear giveaway that the mixture preparation was currently up to maggots - ie - engine was producing seemingly rich mixtures that the ECU has to correct for ................

So the lambda sensor was replaced .............. as in the upstream O2 sensor? ..............and the garage that replaced it confirmed the correct operation of it after replacement? ................ by looking for a lambda figure now much closer to 0 (+-.03 from 1)?

You say it failed on CO today after O2 replacement ............... what happened to the lambda and HC reading today at 2500rpm - did it pass despite CO failing?

Did you drive a few hot and cold cycles before you tested emissions again or did you just go to the testing station directly from O2 replacement? ............. the ECU needs a bit of time to adjust after sensor replacement

What I am getting at and since money is an issue - don't fix the cat unless you know for a fact the engine management is 100% - as in proven to be so with known REPEATABLE values you can supply for at least LTFT at idle and 2500rpm after you have driven a few hot and cold cycles ................. I am willing to bet that you will be wasting your money - especially since the MOT also failed on the HC reading :eek:

What about the post cat O2 sensor?.............. do you not have one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi bud i have a 2010 1.6 clio gt and im selling my cat manifold its in pefect condition and the cat it 100%there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry to up this old topic, but I have a very very similar issue than Charlie with my missus Clio GT 1.6 16v.

Finding a cat is complete nightmare, and i also have reasons to think engine mangement isn't at its best (lamba reading are ok, but LTFT and STFT are showing very negative value, around -20/-30%summed, which seems strange to me).

Charlie, were you able to find your problem and fix it ? Was it actually the cat ?

Cheers

·
Technical Supremo.
5,400 Posts
Hi everyone, sorry to up this old topic, but I have a very very similar issue than Charlie with my missus Clio GT 1.6 16v.

Finding a cat is complete nightmare, and i also have reasons to think engine mangement isn't at its best (lamba reading are ok, but LTFT and STFT are showing very negative value, around -20/-30%summed, which seems strange to me).

Charlie, were you able to find your problem and fix it ? Was it actually the cat ?

Cheers
What Is the similar issue you have SPECIFICALLY?

I am going to say your problem may be real but imo its NOT cat JUDGING FROM ONLY YOUR LIMITED INFO PROVIDED ..............

nd i also have reasons to think engine mangement isn't at its best (lamba reading are ok, but LTFT and STFT are showing very negative value, around -20/-30%summed
Rather useless FT values when reported like that.

Post graphs of the upstream and downstream O2's voltages - begin the graphs BEFORE the engine is started already and allow the engine to idle for about 2 minutes without touching the throttle at all

·
Registered
2 Posts
I must inform you that i really dislike the tone you use in your reply, and that I don't feel I did anything to deserve it. However I will ignore it and try to answer.

The issue I am having is my car failed the pollution test for french MOT. I have similar values than Charlie on the test report for fast idle (25xx rpm, 0.925 lambda, 2.2% CO). Other than that the car seems to be running well,but sometimes has got some "hiccups" on cold starting for the first few seconds.

Time and space available didn't allow me to go as much into details that i would have liked with my OBD investigation, but rest assured I will when I get the chance to spend time with the car.

Talking more specifically about my FT considerations, Long term is at -9.4 at the moment, and short term hovering around -10 to -20 when idling and fast idling. As the car is running with regular fuel, I didn't expect the fuel trim to be so off, and I'll take it as a sign of bad functioning of some engine control elements.

Pre cat O2 sensors follows a sinusoidal patern, post cat stays basically straight when cat is hot, with around 0.650 +-0.04v value. It does seem like an usual and healthy pattern, but I am just no 100% sure about the 0.650 v value for the post cat senor, that should read closer to 0.55v from what I seem to recall.

Car has 110,000 miles at the moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts