Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my other half has an old Clio, suddenly today there seems to be multiple (electrical?) issues. they are:
  • centre console display no longer works
  • stereo no longer works (tried new and original)
rest of center console ie heating, lighter, etc works fine
  • boot no longer locks (other doors do still lock) and door open warning light is permanently on
  • wing mirrors can’t be adjusted.
Everything was absolutely fine until starting car up today. So far he has checked the fuses and all seems fine.
Any ideas? Is it a case of just running diagnostics and trying to find out if there an issue? Are these each isolated issues or could they be linked? Seems odd it all started on same day after being perfectly fine until now!

(Sorry if anything I’ve typed doesn’t make sense, I don’t know much about cars lol)
 

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
Joined
·
4,042 Posts
Hi Olivia and Welcome to the Forum:)
Many random electrical faults are down to low battery charge. How old is it?
Is the car starting?
Last night was cold which makes life harder for a battery. Can you charge it up or bring the car somewhere to have it tested?
 

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
Joined
·
7,559 Posts
As @Brendan W said, Renaults hate batteries that are not playing at their best, some light reading for you and your partner regarding car batteries:

The problem is not the Float Voltage (voltage when not under load) of the battery, but what happens to its internal resistance and State of Charge (SoC) with age! A starter motor takes a lot of current. Typical starter motors are rated at around 2kW, electrical power. Now, 2kW from 12v is 167 Amps. When you pull that sort of current from a lead acid battery, the voltage drops, due to its internal resistance (and of course all the wiring between the battery and starter has a resistance too) In fact, most starter motors are rated to make there claimed power at just 8V, which for our 2kW starter is 250 Amps.

As a lead acid battery ages, it's SoC degrades as the plates become contaminated, and it's internal resistance rises as well. As a starting event only lasts a few seconds, the total energy required is pretty small (~6kJ) but as the instantaneous current is large, the battery may struggle to maintain sufficient voltage at those high currents.

Most critical automotive electronics is these days rated to run down to at least 8v and more typically for engine ecus/ fuel pump controllers etc down to 6v.

When you measure the voltage of a lead acid battery that is not under any significant load (it's Float voltage) you will find that even for a pretty knackered battery, that voltage will still be quite normal (say 12.3v to 12.7V at 25degC).
 

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
Joined
·
4,042 Posts
One other thing comes to mind. Our 07 Grand Scenic has a peculiar radio. On some cold nights, not all, the radio is dead in the morning. Something to do with an anti theft freeze sensor or some story like that. Anyway the fix is to disconnect the battery negative for a short time, seconds, reconnect and hey presto it works again, provided you have the code. If left in this, non working condition I believe that the battery can drain itself somehow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
If not battery, bad electrical connection(s) somewhere. "door open warning" may be why tailgate won't lock, but I'm just guessing. Is that done by the keyfob remote or actual key?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice everyone.
Even though the car is old, the battery is new - hadn’t been in there long when he bought the car a few months ago. He said he will check the battery but doesn’t think there are any issues with it.

In regards to radio being dead, I don’t think it’s an issue with the radio on its own, as the centre console display is gone as well.

The car is starting and running absolutely fine (thankfully!). Not had any issues there, we drove 30+ miles in it yesterday with no other issues. The only thing I can think of that’s been odd is that the other day when we were driving we could hear water trickling, but have no idea where from and haven’t heard it since. Maybe there has been some water damage to electrics.

I will pass on all your comments to my other half as he will know what you’re all talking about and let you know how we get on!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top