Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a used 2002 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique - everyone was fine until just an hour ago when I attempted to open the car. Firstly the remote wouldn't open the vehicle - nor did I get the flashing LED on the fob.

Secondly - once I got in (just by using the key) I tried to start the car however the engine wouldn't start. However I can hear a constant 'clicking' sound near the passenger side so I am guessing this be something to do with it.

Any ideas of what this may be.. its strange as I was using the car fine just a few hours ago.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Hi, it does sound like an immobiliser problem. Do a search, I believe there are many posts on immobilisers.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Did this clicking noise happen when you turned the key to start it?

If so, thats that starter motor which means your battery is flat which would explain why you had no light on and the remote central locking didnt work.

Barry.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Did this clicking noise happen when you turned the key to start it?

If so, thats that starter motor which means your battery is flat which would explain why you had no light on and the remote central locking didnt work.

Barry.
... or it could be
  1. a loose battery connection (check your terminals on the battery posts, earth connection and starter motor).
  2. A stuck started (put your car in gear and rock it back & forth and listen for a mechanical click, then start it normally)
  3. a duff or stuck solenoid (probably needs replacement by an auto electrician who may say it is cheaper to change the whole unit)
Good luck... but if you've just bought it, why don't you speak to your vendor if it you bought from a trader? Might save you some wedge!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also in another post..
Here is the latest...

The battery itself is dead - I managed to get the engine started when we jump-started the car - however it cuts out after a second - meaning the Immobiliser is definately preventing the car from starting.

I have spoken to my dealer who said I need to get the code for the immobiliser from Renault - I then spoke to Renault who say they don't actually give out the codes for the Immobiliser - he recommended I go to a non-approved Renault dealer.

I am being sent in roundabouts.. what is my next step?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
i think chriss is right on this one, some Clio's dont even turn over if the immobilizer is activated, so this could also be an alternator fault, this would explain why you have a flat batt aswell, because if its not charging it will just run the batt dry and eventually kill it.

this is just a shot in the dark m8, this is the downside to the INTERNET lol as you cant actually test the car but give it ago and good luck with it. Alex:)

couple of other things to check is alt belt and does the red led light flash beside the spedo when you try to star it?

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Also in another post..
Here is the latest...

The battery itself is dead - I managed to get the engine started when we jump-started the car - however it cuts out after a second - meaning the Immobiliser is definately preventing the car from starting.

I have spoken to my dealer who said I need to get the code for the immobiliser from Renault - I then spoke to Renault who say they don't actually give out the codes for the Immobiliser - he recommended I go to a non-approved Renault dealer.

I am being sent in roundabouts.. what is my next step?
If you were able to jump-start, it is not your immobiliser. Did it continue to run while the donor-battery was still connected? If yes, then it is your battery that needs changing rather than the immobiliser code. I think you said this was a recent purchase so it is possible that the car had been idle for a long time and the dealer then just recharged the battery hoping for the best. He should be able to check this and if necessary give you a new battery free of charge.

Any gargage should be able to test this and tell you if the alternator is still good (which if it isn't, your vendor should be liable to replace FOC also); it should be delivering upwards of 14 volts in order to recharge your battery normally and all they do is put a meter across the posts while the engine is running.

I hope that helps you to decide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts