Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My S plate Clio has started to make a fairly loud whirring/whining (even odd rattle) noise when i turn left and right around corners. It did have a rumbling/groaning noise occuring a long time ago (at speed when driving straight and at around 4/5th gear) not sure where that came from was difficult to make out. But thats not happened for a while now. But now i have these whirring/whining noises from front wheels on turning, very evident something is wrong. Is this wheel bearing(s)? Checked the PS fluid and its fine, as is the steering itself. What damage can be done if it goes unchecked for too long?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Could this be costly as car can only be worth around £600 or so (its low mileage) ?

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
possibly bearings,
louder clunking type of sound could be worn CV joint...my megane 1.6 has it when cornering, not an MOT failure as its within tolerances.... in fact car failed MOT on the CV boot that covers the joint...
other possibility as daft as it mite sound is the road itself !!!
up near Birdlip in Glos, they have resurfaced the road and the road noise from it is terrible !! (just a thought)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possibly bearings,
louder clunking type of sound could be worn CV joint...my megane 1.6 has it when cornering, not an MOT failure as its within tolerances.... in fact car failed MOT on the CV boot that covers the joint...
other possibility as daft as it mite sound is the road itself !!!
up near Birdlip in Glos, they have resurfaced the road and the road noise from it is terrible !! (just a thought)
its not overly loud, thinking it could well be the bearings making the whining/whirring sounds from fornt wheels, any idea what damage it could cause?

D

·
0 Posts
Jack the car up, give the wheels a wiggle top to bottom, and side to side and see if there is any play. Then give them a spin and listen carefully for any rummbling / grinding.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jack the car up, give the wheels a wiggle top to bottom, and side to side and see if there is any play. Then give them a spin and listen carefully for any rummbling / grinding.
thanks mate, i'll get round to trying that this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it could be the CV joints.

Do a slow U-turn on full lock. What do you hear?
I hear a persistent high pitched whining sound from front wheels when doing a full turn. There's another kind of metal noise occuring at same time too. The sound stops when wheels are straight in motion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Definitely get the CV joints looked at.

The whining sound could be the power steerin, but if the "metal noise" sound like knocking, then it's a good chance the CV joints / boots are gone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely get the CV joints looked at.

The whining sound could be the power steerin, but if the "metal noise" sound like knocking, then it's a good chance the CV joints / boots are gone.
yeah im thinkin cv joints / boots are indeed gone, bookin car in to garage today as the noise isnt gettin any better. Will report back with outcome, Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts