Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my clio 1.4 auto 2000 has had a problem with starting for over a year now, it only happens every now and then but is very frustrating when it does happen. Hot or cold you can switch the ignition on and there is no sign of life from the engine sometimes lasting over an hour and a half and then it will start as if nothing was wrong. The car has been to the garage and they cleaned the starter motor connections but the problem still persists, it is becoming such a problem lately that we are thinking of px ing the car.Any ideas please.:steam:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Check the earth connections between the engine and the bodywork,and between the bodywork and the battery.

Also,when it refuses to start,try moving the gear stick back and fowards to see if it that makes any difference.There is a switch that prevents the car being started in gear and they can sometimes play up.

If that all seems OK,then it's time to replace the starter it's self.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will try cleaning up the earths , maybe the switch on the shift but the problem seams to happen with a long gap in-between, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this switch that prevents the car from starting where is it and how do I replace it, i have noticed that the brake pedal is solid when it wont start but you can move the gear stick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts