Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First post here so nice to meet you all

So here is my problem, just bought a clio mk2 for a very good price and had it a week.

The power steering has been fine all week and all of a sudden it has clicked off, now it is clicking on and off and the steering in heavy.

The fluid is fine there are no leaks and no bad smells, checked the fuse and all is good?

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Many thanks

D

·
0 Posts
I've seen problems before with the crankshaft pulley slipping on the rubber causing the belt to slip so check that all looks ok to start with. It's a 2 part pulley with a rubber insert.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen problems before with the crankshaft pulley slipping on the rubber causing the belt to slip so check that all looks ok to start with. It's a 2 part pulley with a rubber insert.
As far as i can see there is only the timing belt there, is there another belt to be looking for?

D

·
0 Posts
The belt you're looking for runs the steering pump, alternator, and aircon if you have it. I does sort of look like a timing belt, but it's just a flat ribbed serpentine belt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So am i wrong in thinking what i can see is the crank pulley and the alternator and thats it on one belt? car doesn't have aircon

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
There are a few variations of power steering fitted to Clios - some have a belt driven steering pump - some have an electrical hydraulic pump and others have a fully electrical system.

You'll need to establish which type is fitted.

As you don't mention the year or engine type I suggest you check if there is an hydraulic belt driven pump fitted and also you have a reservoir.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a few variations of power steering fitted to Clios - some have a belt driven steering pump - some have an electrical hydraulic pump and others have a fully electrical system.

You'll need to establish which type is fitted.

As you don't mention the year or engine type I suggest you check if there is an hydraulic belt driven pump fitted and also you have a reservoir.:)
Okay I have a reservoir and can't see any other belts! It's a 2001 Clio 1.2 I don't know engine codes or anything! Manual 5 speed if that makes any difference

D

·
0 Posts
No rush! Those of us with small kids not allowing us to go to the boozer will still be here! :d

D

·
0 Posts
Ok, from the first image, the steering pump must be electric.
And the second pic, thats the brake fluid reservoir.

That's as far as i can help as i know nothing about the electric setup, sorry!

D

·
0 Posts
That's where i would start looking,although it could just be low on fluid. Whether it's a semi sealed unit or there is a reservoir, i dunno

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay so i've had it in the garage and they have advised to get any codes read and cleared and that he just wants to swap the whole column for the £500+ he wants in his pocket.

Any advice?

D

·
0 Posts
I really don't know the setup on these, so I would suggest taking it to another couple of garages and seeing what they say

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Assuming the garage involved know what they are doing and also assuming the steering is fully electric then it does involve replacing the steering column assembly.

The electric steering system is sensitive to voltage so before going down the replacement road I suggest you have the battery and alternator voltages double checked.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so me being bored and wanting to get this sorted after driving round the block with lights radio and blower on the steering light flashes on and off constantly and with lights radio off its stops going mad.

also moving the steering wheel up and down also increases the amount it turns on and off.

am i wrong or could this be pointing towards loose connection?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts