Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 R reg clio. 1.2 RN. 54,000 miles recorded.
Stopped last night by Police..who informed us that rear brakes were leaking [great eyesight at 11.30pm?] fluid.The nearside rear wheel was covered in brake fluid..the brake fluid reservoir was near empty.
Filled it hrs ago..nothing has leaked...its still full.I have taken the wheel off..checked the brake pipe and unions..no leaks..brakes pumped up and down/handbrake on..no leaks.
It was definitely brake fluid ..everywhere on the inside of the wheel?
The brakes work fine..but..if a PC can see a leak whilst we are moving there must be something there.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated [could it be from "inside" the drum??]:mad::eek::eek:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,926 Posts
My first thought would be the brake cylinder seals, what ever it is it needs finding before the obvious happens.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
You've guessed right most rear brake leaks on Clios are due to leaking rear wheel cylinders.
Time to haul the drums off for a closer looksee.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks for a speedy reply.I guess that tomorrow means wheel/drum off.Need to find the lump hammer and persuade the machine to take its shoes off by the sound of it!!
Looking for my gloves as well..i think i remember many years ago thatsharp springs make sore fingers.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a final up date! Thanks again for all remark..
Removed all parts [wheel/drum etc] :the entire unit including inside of rear wheel were saturated with brake fluid;no wonder reservoir was near empty.
Cleaned all down..removed all traces [? ] of brake fluid.checked the movement of cylinder pistons and shoes.All seemed ok..no leaks.Cleaned re assembled..tested..taken on `safe` road..emergency stops [in reverse also].Stripped again..no sign of fluid..stood with brakes full on for a couple of hours..nothing??
another one of lifes mysteries?? better replace the cylinder ??:confused::(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Did you pull back the rubber boots on the brake cylinder to check for leaks.

Stamping hard on the brakes isn't always a good test for a leaking cylinder as the high pressure will force its seals outwards towards the cylinder wall thus increasing its sealing characteristics.

If there is fluid behind either of the two outer boot seals then the cylinder is well and truly furbarred.
As the shoes will have been contaminated they too will lose a lot of braking efficiency as every time they get warm they will leach contaminating fluid onto the drums.

In this case I would strongly recommend both rear wheels have their cylinders and shoes replaced. Also getting the drums decontaminated can be very difficult as they are porous and again any fluid that has been absorbed will only leach out when the brakes get warm.

To ensure effective and balanced braking components should always be renewed in axle pairs.

Remember brakes are like your best friends - you miss them most when they ain't around.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no..i missed a few tricks there.Thank you for the guidance..I will recheck..I have managed to exceed my three score and ten..but want to carry on a bit longer..and as you point out..brakes are very important..:eek:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,926 Posts
Got to agree with madnoel10 it's the only safe way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts