Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
First posting on this site and am looking for some help.
I have just bought a 2002 Clio Semi Auto 1.2 which has gear box faults in that:
I cannot get it to indicate Auto mode and when it is in the other mode I can get it to select 1 or R and then it just goes back into neutral before it will show any sign of driving.
Questions; are there any obvious faults these boxes have I can check first.
and second,
Looking at the box, it appears to be very similar to a regular manual box, I am seriously considering taking this one out and putting in a manual one, looks like I will need to swap the peddle box for one with a clutch and take out the paddle gear stick and swap it for a manual linkage.
Electrics for the gearbox and engine seem pretty well integrated so I was thinking of leaving them in place,
Anyone got any ideas or actually done this?
Thanks in anticipation.
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there
First posting on this site and am looking for some help.
I have just bought a 2002 Clio Semi Auto 1.2 which has gear box faults in that:
I cannot get it to indicate Auto mode and when it is in the other mode I can get it to select 1 or R and then it just goes back into neutral before it will show any sign of driving.
Questions; are there any obvious faults these boxes have I can check first.
and second,
Looking at the box, it appears to be very similar to a regular manual box, I am seriously considering taking this one out and putting in a manual one, looks like I will need to swap the peddle box for one with a clutch and take out the paddle gear stick and swap it for a manual linkage.
Electrics for the gearbox and engine seem pretty well integrated so I was thinking of leaving them in place,
Anyone got any ideas or actually done this?
Thanks in anticipation.
Dave
hi we done one last year and yes its a lot of bother you will need to change pedal box put clutch cable in gear linkages -center console etc and the drive shafts the hubs are the same and just leave the ecu and wiring for the gearbox in place

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done it..
Thought I'd just add my experience in case anyone else is looking to do this swap.
Took the engine and box out as one lump, fairly straightforwards, took the opportunity to replace the cambelt etc while it was out.
Sourced a gearbox, then found out that I needed one with the electric speedo sender at the back of the box (if anyone needs a 1.2 manual box with low miles give me a call.). Then found another box with the aforementioned speedo sender, new clutch for good measure then bolted it back together, also needed to replace the gearbox mounting with the one that was compatible with the new box.
Put it back in then found out that the nearside driveshaft had a different sized flange where it went into the box so replaced that as well, (40 quid for a new one) covered all of the gearbox ecu etc with weatherproofing and tucked it out of the way. Replaced the gear stick with a manual one, with link, lined it up with the clean/dirty marks n the end of the shaft and it was in the right position first time..
Swapped the pedal box for a manual one, clutch cable on then job done..
Only thing that gives it away from inside is the dash display which can be swapped over for one without the display for the autobox. Only thing there is that the mileage is stored in the speedo..
No reversing light either.. anyone know which wires on the old auobox connector is for the reverse light?
Think thats it.. drop me a line if I've missed anything

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.