Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Clio has just had a full service this week and I was told that the spark plus are 'platinum coated' & 'very expensive' and therefor don't need changing. However, there is a lot of 'juddering' when the car is at a stand-still and it sounds as though it is threatening to stall - which it has done once or twice.

I was told by an AA mechanic a couple of weeks ago - who had to come out to a break-down where he changed the 'coil' and 'leads' that the plugs will need changing.

Now, my plugs haven't been changed and the 'juddering' remains.

What should I do? Change them / leave them / look at something else as a possible cause of the 'juddering' ?

I don't really want the expense of the spark plugs if it's not really necessary to change them, but am happy to if it will solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Unfortunately faulty coils and leads can cause damage to spark plugs - that's why the AA guy recommended you have them renewed. Did you explain this to the garage who done the service. Platinum plugs are quite expensive and are designed to last 50-60K miles - about 3 times longer than bog standard ones. If you are capable of changing the plugs yourself why not take one out - write down the number on the insulator - and then see if a local motor factors can supply. I'll have a look online and if I faind somthing suitable I'll post it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Their search tool came up with these.
Unsure if they're the correct ones; they seem correct.
Would you have an idea?

Champion--REA8MCL

Manufacturer RENAULT
Model Clio II
Engine Size 1.2 L
No. of Valves/Cylinders 16V / 4Cyl
Variant None Specified
Year of Manufacture 07/01 ->
Power output 75 BHP
Standard gap setting 0.9mm
Part Number REA8MCL
Short Code (aka) OE130
Price (£) Per Plug 3.27+vat
Qty Per Set 4

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone advise whether or not these would be the correct plugs to buy online before I go ahead please?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Cyberdine - without knowing exactly what sort of plugs you have fitted it is hard to tell. Are you going to fit them yourself - if so take one out and write down the number on the side. Any decent motor mechanic will always compare the old with the new just to be sure. No point in ordering them up and when they arrive they're wrong - you'll just incurr unneccessary postage costs. I gave you the same advice in a previous posting. Have you tried phoning or emailing any of the numerous motor factors out there - after all it's not rocket science.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts