Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"load sensitive pressure regulating valve!" I have never seen a longer name for a car component...

Anyway hello!

I have a mk2 1.2 clio drum brakes rear. When I got it 2 years ago the breaks were absolutely amazing very powerful and strong. However now (30,000 miles later) they are very spongy and I tried to skid the tyres yesterday (safely) and I cant even make them skid... and it was wet!

Last MOT the garage said that the load sensitive pressure regulating valve was jamming, but they greased it up and said it was fine for the MOT. They also said the front pads needed changing soonish...

My question is what do you think it is? is it the pads or is it this valve with a wacky name? I have tried searching for them but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is it a special dealer only part? (if it is that)

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Could be either or both. In the interests of safety it would be prudent to get all aspects of the brakes checked.
How long is it since the MOT test:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The MOT expires October 2009, so quite a way away. I will put it in the garage this month and ask for new pads and an overall check I think.

Thanks, will write how it goes. may be of use to someone one day

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
The MOT expires October 2009, so quite a way away. I will put it in the garage this month and ask for new pads and an overall check I think.

Thanks, will write how it goes. may be of use to someone one day
has the brake fluid ever been changed? over time it absorbs moisture and looses effectiveness

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
As long as the arm on the valve moves slightly when you press the brakes,and then returns when you release them,it's working.It's only the arm that seizes usually.

I'd go for a full brake check and fluid change as said above,I think you'll be surprised by how much better they will be.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the fluid has ever been changed.

I know what you mean by the arm as the mechanic showed me when it was on the ramp. He's put a tonne of grease, I will check to see if it still moves up and down.

Cheers again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts