Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

When I go through a carwash or use a jet wash, I am getting some water inside the cabin, passenger-side up near the sunroof visor. Only a small amount.

Upon opening the sunroof to inspect potential problems, I noticed that a lot of the rubber seal around the sunroof has begun to perish - little bits of rubber are easily breaking off into my hand.

It became very difficult to close the sunroof again; as the seal was not in place and sort of "hanging into" the now open sunroof. It took quite some time to coax it all back into place and get the roof to close.

Today, I went to my Renault dealer and was informed that it would cost me £85+VAT just to get an inspection for them to tell me what was wrong; and then it would cost parts and labour to get the problem fixed. I tried to explain to the lady behind the desk I could see the problem already but she wasn't having any of it saying it could be a lot of different things and fixing just the seal might not solve the problem.

I just can't afford to pay £99.87 for them to tell me what's wrong. So I'm trying to find some alternate ways to get this fixed. Looking on Google and eBay for "clio sunroof seal" hasn't really helped me.

If anybody could help me with some ideas of a more independant garage or something else I could try to get this fixed then I would be very very grateful.

Thank you :)

Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Click here!!

This is the stuff I used on my last car on the sunroof, works a treat and when dry you can trim it with a blade to make it perfect! Its a windscreen sealer but is fine for sunroofs and a proper make...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much. Unfortunately there's none available that I can find at the moment but I will keep my eyes open for something similar.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
leaky sunroof

Hi, - the stuff recommended is not designed for your problem - it's only a sealant whereas you are looking to renew the rubber seal on your slide and tilt sun-roof. I v'e seen this prob before and yes renault will charge around £300 plus to fix it. If you are prepared to seal the window shut permanebtly go to your nearest builders merchant and buy a tube of silicone sealant for around £3. It kinda messy stuff and once used you'll not be able to open the sunroof again and it'll look horrible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hmmm yeah i had that with my old mitzu and the sealant worked a treat, held the two ends together and in place...maybe I was just lucky but used the same on my dads rubber seal on the door part and it also did the job. I suppose it depends how you use the product and how bad the rip/tear/ or missing rubber seal is...?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Euh - not good. At the moment I'm not really bothered about fixing it to that extreme because water is only leaking in when I go through a car wash or power spray it. These are activities I can easily avoid for the roof.

I don't want to permanently seal it closed, but I also don't want to pay £300+ to fix it. It didn't bode well that it was costing £100 just to tell me what was wrong; however...

Oh well maybe I'll just wait to win the lottery.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
No two ways about it,The rubber isnt interchangeable,New roof is on order,Either try a breakers yard or new from Renault

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi there is it the seal between the frame and the glass?this seal can be bout seperately ive done tons of the there a bit tricky but not to hard todo just need a bit of patients, tell the dealer you want a price for replacing that seal! if they still arent intreasted buy the seal nd make a visit to yor nearest windscreen company should cost you bout £75-£100 to get fixed!
good luck
bigshow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts