Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster here and looking for some advice.

I have a 2014 Clio TCE 90bhp that's making a weird noise after starting up. The car has recently undergone a service and mot at a Renault dealership, where I got the car just over 11 months ago.

This only seems to happen when the engine is cold and the car has been stationary for a good few hours. I can only seem to hear this noise when the car is in neutral, and it's very difficult to capture in a recording. Once the engine has warmed up, I can't hear the noise any more.

However, I did manage to get a semi decent recording this morning.

Any advice you guys may have on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

The car is due to go in for this issue to be checked out at the end of July, and renault advised me yesterday that the car is safe to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
22,676 Posts

I have a 2014 Clio TCE 90bhp that's making a weird noise after starting up. The car has recently undergone a service and mot at a Renault dealership, where I got the car just over 11 months ago.

This only seems to happen when the engine is cold and the car has been stationary for a good few hours. I can only seem to hear this noise when the car is in neutral, and it's very difficult to capture in a recording. Once the engine has warmed up, I can't hear the noise any more.

Any advice you guys may have on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

The car is due to go in for this issue to be checked out at the end of July, and renault advised me yesterday that the car is safe to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Hard for me to comment on that because I wear hearing aids..but from what I can make out its just general tapping of the top end when cold..not very clued up on this engine and I dont know if it uses an oil feed to the cam or it is splash fed..maybe someone else might be able to answer that question..you do say it quietens down when warm so I would say its general clatter associated with a cold engine in general but worth checking out..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard for me to comment on that because I wear hearing aids..but from what I can make out its just general tapping of the top end when cold..not very clued up on this engine and I dont know if it uses an oil feed to the cam or it is splash fed..maybe someone else might be able to answer that question..you do say it quietens down when warm so I would say its general clatter associated with a cold engine in general but worth checking out..
Thanks for your reply Phil, you've still provided me with more information than I was able to find on Google.

Hopefully other members may be familiar with this engine and be able to provide some more info.

·
22,676 Posts
Thanks for your reply Phil, you've still provided me with more information than I was able to find on Google.

Hopefully other members may be familiar with this engine and be able to provide some more info.
Had the H4B engine in my stepway a few years ago and generally I wasnt a fan of it for me it was a pain to drive in traffic [around town ] with continual shifting from 3rd to 4th all the time it was hard work..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the H4B engine in my stepway a few years ago and generally I wasnt a fan of it for me it was a pain to drive in traffic [around town ] with continual shifting from 3rd to 4th all the time it was hard work..
I do agree that it is a bit of a pain in traffic. I love the car though, and being as its my first big purchase, It's something I take very good care of.

I've only noticed this noise recently, and the car is not giving me much indication that anything is wrong. It shifts fine, no loss of power, no warning lights. I'm stumped!

·
22,676 Posts
I do agree that it is a bit of a pain in traffic. I love the car though, and being as its my first big purchase, It's something I take very good care of.

I've only noticed this noise recently, and the car is not giving me much indication that anything is wrong. It shifts fine, no loss of power, no warning lights. I'm stumped!
Hope you find the problem soon..fingers crossed for you..if it is an oil feed problem to the cams then it will give the accelerated wear and in time wipe them out..oh hang on while typing this its just come to me..possibly hydraulic cam lifters possibly that ..thats one worth looking at..amazing at the age of 70 suddenly a light bulb turns on out of the blue..😄

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you find the problem soon..fingers crossed for you..if it is an oil feed problem to the cams then it will give the accelerated wear and in time wipe them out..oh hang on while typing this its just come to me..possibly hydraulic cam lifters possibly that ..thats one worth looking at..amazing at the age of 70 suddenly a light bulb turns on out of the blue..😄
Haha, thank you Phil. I'll look into this further, and possibly mention it to renault when I take the car in.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,247 Posts
Are you referring to the general clatter noise or to the fainter high pitched rattle that is in the background and more intermittant?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took it down to Renault today because it took juddered off the mark this morning.

They have now had a look at the car and confirmed that the timing chain had a fault. Timing chain being changed at 26,000 miles is a bit unexpected. However it is being done as a part of my warranty, at no cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll let you know how it goes! They're due to carry out the work tomorrow if the parts are delivered on time.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Took it down to Renault today because it took juddered off the mark this morning.

They have now had a look at the car and confirmed that the timing chain had a fault. Timing chain being changed at 26,000 miles is a bit unexpected. However it is being done as a part of my warranty, at no cost.
I had similar sound at the start with my previous Octavia 1.2 tsi after warranty, fought a lot to have them pay for it ( I had around 30k miles) but yours sound much worse. The set contained 12 parts including chain and the tensioner - the design was faulty.

Hope it will solve your problem, I had the same sound coming back after 10k miles then I sold it,

·
22,676 Posts
I had similar sound at the start with my previous Octavia 1.2 tsi after warranty, fought a lot to have them pay for it ( I had around 30k miles) but yours sound much worse. The set contained 12 parts including chain and the tensioner - the design was faulty.

Hope it will solve your problem, I had the same sound coming back after 10k miles then I sold it,
problem with the vag chain was stretching wasnt it..

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
problem with the vag chain was stretching wasnt it..
it was kind of combination :) chains were stretching, tensioners were failing.They updated the cam chain set 3 times in 4 years because the first two sets did not help with the problems. Finally after 2013 I think, they gave up and updated the engines completely and started to use belt instead of chain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Back again...

So, after the dealership fixing the timing chain fault, I've been back to them 7 times. This is due to the car becoming sluggish and hesitant and degrading from a cold start. During this time, they've replaced coil springs, fixed a broken heat shield and replaced a melted o2 sensor.

I've had problems with the car revving on its own, surging, bouncing revs, kangarooing in second gear and cutting out on 2 occasions whilst on a hill.

Now, the garage have been telling me that nothing is shown on the clip and that the car does not have a fault. However, I've been trying to get the jumping revs on video. When I got that on film, I was told that's normal too and that these engines run crap in the morning. Had I known that, I would have walked away without buying the damn thing.

I'm currently going through the complaints procedure and they want the car back in next week.

Either way, here is a video of the latest issue. 2 occurrences in this one, one without air con and one when the demisters are turned on then back off. Any ideas on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hello Chris

I have the same problem on with my Dacia , this is hapening when is worm outside and when is cold outside if you whant to start driving the car is moving with itreruptions. my car is for 5 weeks in service but they can not fiind anything. also the cars from 2019 have the same problems. this is not normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the reply Marius. I agree that it's not normal.

I will update this post once the car has been back in. If they find anything, it may help you push back with your problem too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts