Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer any advice please?

My Clio broke down on Saturday and the AA towed it to a garage (the Renault dealer that services my car) as they suspected the timing/cambelt had failed.

I spoke to the workshop controller at the garage this morning and he said that if the cambelt had failed Renault would be responsible for the repair as it's supposed to last at least 72,000 miles and my car has only done 24,000.

I have now had a call from the garage and they are saying that the alternator belt frayed and that caused the cambelt to snap. As a gesture of goodwill they will contribute 66% of the cost to fix the car which means I would only have to pay £971!

My car is 3.5 years old, has a full Renault service history and the dealer themself told me that the alternator belt should last at least 5 years.

Can anyone confirm or perhaps point me in the direction of where I can find information on how long an alternator belt should last? And if indeed this could be the cause of the cambelt failing as the AA man had noticed the altenator belt had started to fray but said it wasn't to do with the breakdown?

I'm so upset that such a new car that has been fully maintained to Renault specification and done such low mileage can suffer such a huge failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see what you're saying but the alternator belt did not snap. It was just frayed on one side (the side away from the cam belt!).

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi there,

My knowledge of clios isn't exactly top notch, but an engine is an engine to me. I'm a bit confused as to what the garage is saying, how the hell did a frayed aux drive belt snap the cambelt!!!!??? The 2 are run by the crank but are totaly seperate from each other. For a start the cambelt is covered by casing and no way can the 2 come into contact with each other. If the aux belt did jam it would just slip on it's pully (and squeal like hell!) as it doesn't have teeth that lock into the pully like a cambelt. I'd question this with the garage who have your car.
Even though the dealer is telling you the aux belt should last 5 years it is recomended to change them every 2 or 18k miles as the material they are made from and the stress they undergo causes them to wear very quickly. Either way I'm not convinced what the gargae is telling you is right, just sounds totaly stupid to me that a frayed aux belt will snap the cambelt.
Anyone else agree with me on this or is the clio IDE 172 totaly different from any other engine out there??

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd get on to RCS asap!

Your car is low mileage and only just out of warranty,so they should be contributing a lot more than 66%,if not all of it.:crazy:

Welcome to the forum by the way.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd get on to RCS asap!

Your car is low mileage and only just out of warranty,so they should be contributing a lot more than 66%,if not all of it.:crazy:

Welcome to the forum by the way.:)
Thank you, nice to meet you all :beer: (mine's a small* white wine please)

*by small I mean large.

That is what I was thinking but they are saying otherwise. I've spoken to a not so nice man at Renault Customer Services who said they don't give any guarantees on anything when I pointed out that the car was only 3.5 years old and only done 24,000miles.

I have spoken to the garage again and they have said what Chris M said, debris from the frayed alt belt caused the cambelt to fail. The garage does actual seem sympathetic to me but it's down to Renault UK. I have requested a breakdown of the work/costs they have quoted, which the garage said they will email me this afternoon. Once I have this I can at least get comparable quotes to show that Renault are charging too much.

I do want to take it further with regards to Renault making a larger contribution (ie paying for it) but don't really know how.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

O

·
0 Posts
Legally I wouldn't have thought they would need to contribute anything, at the end of the day the car is unfortunately out of warranty.

I think I would be grateful for the 66% discount to be honest.

If anything it could be argued that this is accidental damage albeit caused by the failure of a part (i.e. the alternator belt) which should have lasted longer but wasn't guaranteed to.

Having said all this you should try and get more and I hope you do.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts