Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a Y plato 2001 Clio 1.2 that has developed a problem. For a day or so I noticed that the car had started to "chug" and the acceleration was less than normal. I then experienced the flashing "toxic fume" light.

At this point I took it to a local independent garage, they hooked it up to their computer, they spotted an error of some description. They replaced the spark plugs and put some "cleaner" in to the fuel. They put the problem down to "bad fuel". When I picked the Clio up the light had gone out and the car was ticking over normally, no "chugging" and it accelerated normally.

The following morning I started the car and got exactly the same toxic warning light. I left the car all day and started it this evening, the toxic warning light came back on. I switched it off then started it again - the toxic warning light stayed off. However, the car is still "chugging" and there is a smell of un-burnt petrol by the exhaust.

Having read the previous threads the coil seemed most likely but the garage said the coil was fine. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to the most likely cause?

All help appreciated!

Thanks,
Nathan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I have a Y plato 2001 Clio 1.2 that has developed a problem. For a day or so I noticed that the car had started to "chug" and the acceleration was less than normal. I then experienced the flashing "toxic fume" light.

At this point I took it to a local independent garage, they hooked it up to their computer, they spotted an error of some description. They replaced the spark plugs and put some "cleaner" in to the fuel. They put the problem down to "bad fuel". When I picked the Clio up the light had gone out and the car was ticking over normally, no "chugging" and it accelerated normally.

The following morning I started the car and got exactly the same toxic warning light. I left the car all day and started it this evening, the toxic warning light came back on. I switched it off then started it again - the toxic warning light stayed off. However, the car is still "chugging" and there is a smell of un-burnt petrol by the exhaust.

Having read the previous threads the coil seemed most likely but the garage said the coil was fine. Can anyone offer some suggestions as to the most likely cause?

All help appreciated!

Thanks,
Nathan.
Sorry can't help but I think I have a similar problem ie
chugging-started after a trip to the shops.
Journey there was ok journey home-chugging and smell
of petrol by the exhaust. Worst thing is I've sold the car
to be delivered on monday!!

bjh187 12/5/07

Solved my problem - coil - by process of elimination. Good luck!

bjh187 13/5/07

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It definately sounds like a coil problem.

Some engines are coil per plug,some have coils that run 2 cylinders,others have just one coil pack that runs all 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lagdti for the suggestion. I went out this morning and got a replacement coil, swapped it over but the problem still seems to be there. Should I see an immediate improvement after swapping the coil or do I need to drive a few miles before I see any difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine seems to be ticking over fine now, but the orange toxic fume light is still. However, now it is permanently on rather than flashing... What does this mean as the car seems to be running normally?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar problem before i part exchanged my clio. I recall having the tcd sensor and wiring and the map sensor changed but there was no improvment. You may also notice that when you start it the rev counters is movin up and down and a puff of white smoke if you rev hard when started. Also if u gently tap the accelerator it may startthe flucating revs and it may stall. The car many also cut out on you when your not expecting it to when driving. When renault found out what was wrong with it they traced it down to engine wiring and possibly the injector computer may have been short circuited. So i decieded to get rid of the car a customer services where t**ts and wont help out even thou i had spent 600 pounds on it which didnt do anything. This was on a clio 02 plate with 18000 miles on.

check this link out many other people experiencin same or similar problem.

2002 Renault Clio Extreme Comments - Carsurvey.org

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If the car is know back to full health but the light is still on,then I suspect that it will reset it's self and go out after a few days.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks lagdti, but I spoke too soon... the flashing toxic fume light is back on and staying on..... I guess the only option is take it to Renault unless you can suggest anything else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts