Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope this is the correct section to post this in :confused:

I am going to view my first car tomorrow (17 years of age) and it is a 1991 Renault Clio 1.4 16v RT.

The price is £685 and the Reg Check came up with a Category C write off in Feb 08 and then a VIC in Sep 08.

The car looks in immaculate from the pictures, obviously a closer inspection will be due tomorrow but back to the VIC as the car was wrote off (Cat. C) and needs a VIC to be back on the road again the VIC that was done in Sep 08 is that suitable or should I steer clear of this one?

Thanks

Joe

·
Universal
2,026 Posts
VIC's don't expire, but most people who sell CAT C vehicles try to make the VIC sound like it confirms the car was repaired to a good standard. Also, CAT C usually means the repair cost exceeded the value of the vehicle.

Given the age of the car, the price seem's very high and that's not taking into account the car was a write off. I've owned written off vehicles, and have never had trouble with them.

Just remember when it come's to the price, what they ask for and what they get are two different things ;)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
And also bear in mind that insurers will not like the fact that the car is a Cat C. We all know that being male (for a while, then it'll be equally expensive for all) and 17 is not good for insurance costs to start with :(

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm.....a trader making it look like a private sale.....a car that has obviously had a hard life in the past,even without the fact that it is a Cat C the wheels and induction kit tell more about the car.

My honest advice would be to look elsewhere,but of course the decision is yours.:)

·
Universal
2,026 Posts
It's perfectly fine to buy them! But at the end of the day, the person selling the car has a responsibility to tell buyers if it's been written off. Also, you would never be expected to pay the top price's for them.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's perfectly fine to buy them! But at the end of the day, the person selling the car has a responsibility to tell buyers if it's been written off. Also, you would never be expected to pay the top price's for them.
I'd say it's 50/50 as to whether the repair has been done properly,I've seen repairs that were done to a standard higher than when the car came out of the factory,but on the other hand I've seen a real shockers.Just because it went through it's VIC and is MOT'd doesn't mean that the repair was good.

Theres no mention of the Cat C on the advert,I suspect the seller won't mention it either,although of course he should as he is a trader.It's ringing a few alarm bells with me though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts