Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im relatively inexperienced at car maintainence, the most elaborate thing ive done is change a headlight. Anyway i have a 98 R reg 1.2 Clio and was driving when the engine warning light came on. I got home there was no fluid in the tank so i put in some coolant and water. I started driving again the next day but after about 10 minutes the warning light keeps coming on. The fluid is not going down and theres no leak. Ive been told it could be the thermostat is this likely and is it easy to fix ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Welcome to the forums thebosbos.

It sounds very much like your fan switch may have failed. Normal flow of air into the radiator is fine for a while but if you have been driving long distances or indeed the ambient air temp. is high then the fan switch would read the temp. of your coolant and switch the engine fan(s) on to aid cooling. If the switch is knackered then this obviously will not happen.

You will need to locate the switch, normally located on the radiator or one of the hoses coming from the radiator. Unplug it and bridge the gap between the contacts (on the part you have pulled out) with a piece of wire, a paper clip comes in very useful here.

If the engine fan kicks in then you have located your problem and the switch needs changing. They are reletively cheap, I believe in the region of £15-20 and is a simple spanner off with the old and on with the new.

Let us know how you get on. If it still doesn't work, there are other things that can be tried and I would be happy to assist:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What do you mean by 'Engine Warning Light'?

If it's the management light,then there is a fault in the ECU system somewhere......

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
What do you mean by 'Engine Warning Light'?

If it's the management light,then there is a fault in the ECU system somewhere......
That is also a very valid point:)

I had assumed that OP was referring to the STOP and Temp. lights as he had already been advised it could be the thermostat:eek:

Maybe if you could clarify exactly what, on your dash, is illuminating bosbos!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Firstly thanks for all the replies, its the temperature gauge light.
Although i initailly thought it wasnt leaking i drove the car to my parents to have a look at it in their driveway and ive noticed the fluid had gone down and there was water beneath that had just dripped down. Im still going to have a look at the thermostat and the fan but im inclined to think its a leak from somewhere now.
Again thanks for all your advice, ill let you know how i get on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts