Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

Stumbled across this site whilst investigating other people's experience of chafed wiring looms on their Clios, will be interested to see if others have had the same problem and how much they had to pay to solve the issue.

All the best

AndyE

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Try a search on 'Clio Loom' - this has cropped up a few times around here, and so it seems to be a fairly common problem.

When our 02 Clio started to cut out, the dealer's first reaction was that it needed a new loom. By lucky coincidence, we saw our current 04 on the forecourt while ours was in, and decided to swap. The downside of that is that we never got to the bottom of the fault on the original car. It looked like the TDC was another likely culprit.

The problem seems to be with the loom chafing on other components. I'm amazed that this hasn't been the subject of a safety recall, as having bare electrical wires rubbing against the chassis must surely introduce a fire hazard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies guys, very much appreciated. I'm in discussion with Renault at the moment, no progress so far after 3 days.

Bit of background in case anyone else has a similar problem now or in the future:

The car's 3 1/2 years old - just 23k on the clock. Almost 2 weeks ago a warning light came on (orange light centre of the dash - CHK light?) Manual says electrical fault or water in fuel.

Booked the car into renault Watford, they couldn't take it for a week because of local cars having problems with that dodgy batch of fuel that was going round so suspected it was probably bad fuel to blame.

Last Friday I got the call saying the wiring loom behind the manifold had rubbed through and would need to be replaced along with the sensor switch. Overall cost approx £430.00 incl. parts and labour.

I spoke to a local mechanic friend of mine who said he could quote for the work but he was convinced 'chafed' wiring would have been caused by a design fault so advised me to take it up with Renault first.

I've spoken to 4 different people in customer services all of whom have promised to call me back, after 3 days I've not had one phone call.

I will post again when I have an update.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blimey!!

I've had a call back, apparantly because I am a valued customer Renault are going to pick up 80% of the £430 tab, Renault dealer is picking up 10% leaving me with the final 10% + the £28.50 inspection fee which comes to £72.78.

That's a bit more like it. Ideally shouldn't have to pay a penny but I will certainly settle for that. I think the fact that I bought the car from new from this dealer coupled with the fact it has full service history with this dealer probably swung it. I very much doubt I'd been offered this if the car was second hand.

Fingers crossed everything will be ok, if it doesn't work out I'll let you know.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts