Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just after solving a TDC sensor issue (great help, thanks guys on this forum- it so far seems to have really cured the startup problems), noticed something that feels like a power steering problem unfolding on my Clio 1.4l 16v Alize (2000)...

The steering feels quite heavy (but seems to have 'moods' at low speed or when stationary, ie. sometimes less heavy - or am I imagining it?) but also, when 'dry steering' to left or right while stationary, I can feel a really noticeable shudder and sometimes a screeching/squeaking noise.

I had this noise more permanently just after I bought the Clio (2 years ago) and while in for a major service, the Renault guys said that previous owner must have put water into the power steering tank by mistake - so they drained it, 'treated it' etc. Also, they replaced a pressure switch that was leaky.

Now I haven't had any problems since, but this new symptom is worrying- I wonder whether the entire pump is deciding to exit nicely... and will just die at a given moment. At least it feels like it is still kinda working, but not as it used to.

I checked the fluid level, looks fine, it was topped up a while ago with a General Motors D2 fluid... but can't see any definite leaks and the level hasn't changed over last 2 weeks or so.

Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I'm no mechanic cliopuzzles, but i do have similar problems to yours.

The good news is if it is the pump, you can very often pick them up on ebay etc. Mine cost £50, altho i'm now at the stage wondering whether the pump was knackered in the first place as opposed to the rack or indeed i've bought another knackered pump :crazy: Unfortunately (according to my mechanic!) you cannot tell until a new pump in put in, whether or not its any good.

I've been driving mine with very heavy steering (as you said intermittently) for over 12 months now and have arms some men would pump iron for months for :crazy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sooooo hope it's not the rack - certainly had the misconception that the pump will just give up the ghost or work OK, but this seems to behave in a 'half gone' state... If I bring it to the Renault garage, they will probably change everything ;-)...
Heard that air can be trapped in there in some way (but then again, it was behaving OK for a long while, whithout noticing major leaks and/or fluid level dropping).
Heading down to Cornwall for the May Bank Holiday so curious whether 1. Renault garage will skin me, 2. it will truly give up the ghost while enjoying not-so-straight roads of the South-West :)...

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
try bleeding any air out of your pump bye with the engine ticking over turn your steering from lock to lock holding it for a few seconds at full lock each way repeat this several times then check your fluid DO NOT fill up your fluid beforehand as this can lead to spillage ok hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All I have a megane scenic RX4 with the same problemhas anyone cured it yet as I dont know which part to change first thanks any help most welcome

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Pumps can become weak,and this is particularly noticeable when steering with the engine idling.If you bring the revs up slightly and the steering goes light again,then the pump is worn and not providing the correct pressure at low engine rpm.

I have heard of some racks that have given pressure valve problems,but they seem only to make steering one way difficult.I've never come across this before,but we have had a few people on the forum saying they have had it occur.

If your getting a sqeaking when turning the steering,then check the drive belt.They have a tendency to perish and crack and this can cause the belt to slip and not turn the pump fast enough.

If your reservoir was filled with water by mistake,then this would seriously reduce the pumps service life.I've got to be honest,if water was mixed with the ATF,then I'm surprised the pump hasn't cried enough already.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Something else to check ....

Some Clio2's have electric power steering ... is your speedo working correctly ? ... if not check the speedo sender, as this also inputs to the electric power steering, heavier at speed and lighter at low speed, if your speedo isnt working correctly this may be causing your problems ... worth checking.

I had steering problems that turned out to be related to erratic operation of the speedo sender .... corrosion in the contacts causing the speedo needle to sometimes jump about ... and as it turned out causing the steering pump to appear to act up!

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: power steering - pump? or... ?

hi guys, im having the heavy steering problems, and speedo is nt working correctly.
how do i fix this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts