Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Hightower, the mileage etc is stored in the ECU not in the clocks, so it should just transfer over, if it doesnt, move the LCD unit over from the old clocks, unless that whats causing your problem, not sure if the "clocks" need to be programmed to the car though!

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rioght ~ As you see in the pic ... Its the speedo needle which is gone!! It should be below 20mph but its near central bottom .... Thats what is causing my speed to read 15 ~ 20kmph more!!

I know this as I got caught for speeding:crazy: :steam:

·
2,311 Posts
OK see your point ... have you checked the electronic speed sender unit on the gear box for crud/water and corrosion ... it usually makes it jump about or not work at all ... but it might be worth cleaning it with a fibreglass pencil and spraying it with contact cleaner just in case ... you can check it with a satnav unit if you have one to check the speedo accuracy.

hope it helps :)

·
2,311 Posts
All good stuff, again noted, thanks mike h, and appoligies hightower for the bum lead :eek:

I'd based my answer on the fact I'd had the speedo swapped on my Clio2 @ 2000 miles, and I queeried the dealer about the mileage, they stated It was held in the ECU and therefore would just transfer to the new speedo, new speedo fitted (under warranty) and the milage was correct.

Still now I know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK see your point ... have you checked the electronic speed sender unit on the gear box for crud/water and corrosion ... it usually makes it jump about or not work at all ... but it might be worth cleaning it with a fibreglass pencil and spraying it with contact cleaner just in case ...
I've put a post on the Clio forum for info about how the speedo works, as ours has become very intermittent in deciding to work or not.

Could this help here? If so, any pointers as to how to access the sender unit, please?

TIA

baxlin

·
2,311 Posts
Hi baxlin, do a search there are plenty of posts on this matter, but youll find the sender below the air box between the engine and the bulkhead at the gearbox end (RHS as you look at it), it may or may not have a cover/shield fitted, and will have a cable harness going to it, you may need to pull some water pipes out of the way to see it properly.

Removal to clean is the easiest, and depending on the type of gearbox fitted it might have a clip to secure, normally though its a push fit.
Watch you have the sealing ring for the electrical connector and its intact, as this is where the water/crud gets in ..... if you need to replace it it will cost about £27 from your dealer.

Hope it helps :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts