Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I posted some time back about the noise behind my steering wheel and the white ribbon cable, which has now (as predicted) broken.

I have a quote of £220 to be repaired by ex-Renault techs in Dartford and so I thought, out of interest, I would email the local Renault dealer for a price.

To my surprise they questioned whether there was a second problem causing the steering lock not to function...
but we also think that the
steering lock fault is being caused by a fault in the steering column lock, which is a separate part from the airbag rotary switch
Does anyone think is actually plausible or should everything function correctly after the switch replacement on Friday?

To clarify the symptoms...I had a loud/progressively louder scratching/coiling noise behind the steering wheel for 2/3 months which resulted in the airbag light, service light and the message "steering not locked" on the display.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
The steering lock mechanism is a separate component to the rotary mechanism. The rotary bit isn't really a switch but a system of allowing the steering to rotate but still have electrical connections. There may in fact be two separate problems but only by investigation will you know if the two problems are connected. Also there is a possibility the damaged wiring and rotary spring may have interfered with the steering lock wiring.

Only time will tell me thinks.:)

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
the fix is faily easy...
just head over to a breakers yard, rip the column covers off another similar model, pop the airbag off, unclip the connectors. the collar unclips, i think there is 1 screw on the left of it, near the white push in bit. do make a note of what angle the wheels are, as they are supposed to be lined up stright before removing the collar, as some are fitted with ESP traction control wheel alignment sensors.

you will need a medium torx bit to undo the steering wheel nut. and a few flat/posi screwdrivers.

easily save a few hundred quid.:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the fix is faily easy...
just head over to a breakers yard, rip the column covers off another similar model, pop the airbag off, unclip the connectors. the collar unclips, i think there is 1 screw on the left of it, near the white push in bit. do make a note of what angle the wheels are, as they are supposed to be lined up stright before removing the collar, as some are fitted with ESP traction control wheel alignment sensors.

you will need a medium torx bit to undo the steering wheel nut. and a few flat/posi screwdrivers.

easily save a few hundred quid.:cool:
Thanks mord and madnoel10 but while I do tinker with my fair share of electronics I'm not confident enough to handle that myself (I'm a student and not an experienced hardened car user I'm afraid! Although this is my second megane (first was X-reg MKI)).

I have slight hope in that there are a couple of posts on here that say the steering not locked message came on at the same time as the airbag and service light....is there perhaps a sensor or something that prevents it working? If would be a remarkable coincidence (to the millisecond) if the two were unrelated in some way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.