Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Laguna 2.0 on an 05 plate and it's been clonking underneath now for over 6months. Renault say there is nothing wrong with my car after inspecting it 4 times. Yet, clonk clonk clonk it goes. Not every day, but when it does, (recently every couple of days), it is usually from cold. After driving for 20 mins or so it normally stops. It is loud, sounds like heavy metal scraping and clonking about under my feet somewhere. If I rock the steering wheel from left to right whilst driving slowly it goes CLONK CLONK as I swing the car from left to right. A few times when I have breaked sharply there is a forward metalic sliding with a sudden knock as if something shunted forward, then it all stops. It's driving me mad. Also the gears get very crunchy. Particularly from 1st to 2nd. It has also jumped out of reverse now on several occassions. RENAULT SAY THEY CAN NOT FAULT THIS CAR AND HAVE NOW BANNED ME FROM ALL DEALERS IN THE AREA BECAUSE THEY CONSIDER ME A NUISANCE!! Does anyone know what this is? Where I can take it for an inspection? Renault will not discuss this issue further with me until I present them with a private, independant inspection report. (NO I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER RENAULT)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said they have checked all the mounts and they are fine. They had the car for 3 weeks and sent it to another dealer for inspection and they STILL say there is nothing wrong. But nearly every morning now it just goes CLONK CLONK, crunching gears, CLONK - then it all quietens down after about 20 mins or so of driving. It's seriously doing my head in now. Sounds awful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing I have noticed is that it is usually worse if I park on a slope, particularly when the right hand side of the car is sloped lower than the left, ie. when parked on a curb.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
You've been banned by a dealer? I'm sure RCS would be interested to hear about that. Phone them and give them some earache. This is not the kind of after-sales care that their dealer network should be providing.

Also, a picture (or in this case, a sound) is worth a thousand words. Is there any way you can record the car making this noise with a cassette recorder, MP3 player or even a camcorder?

The gear selection problem suggests that the gearbox is mis-aligned in relation to the selector mechanism. The favourite cause is engine mounts, but you've already ruled that out. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe the front subframe is properly fastened to the rest of the car :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
You sure it isn't a couple of empties rollin around. Only joking.:rofl:
Tell them you intend to get an independent report and if there is a prob are they prepared to foot the bill for the cost of the engineers report plus the repairs. You need to twist their arm a bit more.
The threat of bad publicity and additional costs may get them moving. Why have they banned you - seems strange -where you getting lippy or something.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I wasn't getting lippy - more like irate!!!!!! They have banned me from 4 dealers - ie. the 4 dealers that make up an area of London. Enfield, Ilford, City and Romford. Two of which I have never visited! They say it is because they believe I am waisting their time.

So Horatio, the subframe? If this was moving about would that also cause the gear shift issue?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

Independent report is the only way to go now I think, Then recover costs of report plus travel expenses to and from Dealers and any other out of pocket expenses incurred from Renault or Dealer by small claims court.

Hopefully you have kept details of each visit to your Dealer and have expressed your concerns in writing to them on each visit.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This issue is being inspected now by a local garage. Thought I would give a greasey mechanic a go. Perhaps, I thought, Renault can only nspect a computer print out...
Yestarday I had the car on a ramp at the garage and looked with them. Nothing obvius - I am now very convinced this is in the gear box itself. I will now pay to have the gear box inspected properly. One suggestion was the clutch plate. Could this move around?? Would explain the sliding clonking sound and crunchy intermittent gear shifts...

What say you all?????

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
This issue is being inspected now by a local garage. Thought I would give a greasey mechanic a go. Perhaps, I thought, Renault can only nspect a computer print out...
Yestarday I had the car on a ramp at the garage and looked with them. Nothing obvius - I am now very convinced this is in the gear box itself. I will now pay to have the gear box inspected properly. One suggestion was the clutch plate. Could this move around?? Would explain the sliding clonking sound and crunchy intermittent gear shifts...

What say you all?????
Hi,

Did the local garage hear the noise you have described, Did they have a test drive in the car.

I feel it would be sufficient evidence to proceed further if a competent engineer would state that they can confirm that the symptoms are there as you have reported to the Dealership you do not want to go stripping or removing parts.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Hi sorry to hear you have had problems with your car there, Have renault checked gear linkage as what you have discribed ie jumping out of reverse and crunchy while using 1st and second, it sounds like the gears are not selecting properly or even the gearbox is faulty? I have had the same`ish issue, but mine jumped out of 5th and also 2nd is sometimes hard to select and also sometime wont come out of 1st till I stop the engine, This is being caused by a faulty gearbox, Its also sounds like 2 coke cans being bashed together when i bring the clutch pedal up and while driving, may be worth getting it checked. Good luck with whatever happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Fig Jam

Can you tell me more about your issue please - it may be that my box is duff too.

Things are getting worse but renault are now ignoring me!
I calle dthe RAC out on Monday morning. At the same time I invited two members of staff from two different Renault dealerships to attend my vehicle. I offered to pay them their taxi fair and give them £50 in cash if they couldn't hear anything when they arrived. They did not show up nor did I get a reply. The RAC mechanic witnessed the knocking - he said it sounds like it could be from the box. He signed his job sheet with a note saying - 'grinding and knocking coming from underneath'. Today the knocking was so bad it sounded like something was about to break. I have written 3 letters to Renault to no avail. RCS simply tell me that each dealership is an automnomous business!!!!!!!! Basically they will not help.

This has been going on since August 2006! It really has got bad now that it is occurring evey day and the gear shift is getting very bad too. I am nearly in tears with frustration - yes, thats a grown man damn near weeping.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Yelnats - sorry to hear of your continued problems. What you have shown is not an engineers report - it is only what someone has heard (not the same thing). If you want an engineers report it's gonna cost you. Have to tried getting advice from a consumer advice organisation or a solicitor. Don't get mad - get even, but you need a cool head when doing so. Maybe if it broke down altogether you may be able to convince them there really is a problem.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My error - it isn't an engineer's report I know. But it is confirmation that a qualified mechanic has witnessed the issue. Do you know what, I think Renault have displayed their true colours with this issue. They have not shown any concern at all - all they have done is react by refusing to allow me to take this vehicle to any garage remotely near me. That is not assisting me or taking me seriously - it is a a blatant attack on me for no good reason. Instead of helping me, they have made it worse. They should be ashamed of themselves. I CAN ASSURE YOU ALL I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I AM HAPPY I HAVE EXPOSED THEM FOR THE WAY THEY HAVE TREATED ME. AND GOD HELP YOU ALL IF YOU WANT YOUR RENAULTS FIXED UNDER WARRANTY - BECAUSE YOU MAY NEED HIS HELP.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clunkety Clunk Bah - Humbug

Hi Yelnats - a really nice rant - but what makes you believe the RAC guy/gal was a qualified mechanic. I know 3 guys who work for similar organisations and none are qualified mechanics – they are trained only in breakdown and recovery techniques – and very good at their job they are too. Personally I think your issues are purely customer relations and as already said I think that’s the approach you should take. Can you produce any written evidence that the Renault agents you have dealt with have refused to deal with you and on what grounds are they refusing to deal with the situation. Have you as already suggested sought any advice whatsoever from a consumer advice organisation such as Citizens Advice or your local council. If any of the dealers concerned are members of the Motor Traders Association you could also make contact with them. I sincerely hope you get matters resolved but I don’t believe that this forum is the best place to resolve your problems as
none of the garages concerned have had the opportunity to give their views. Sometimes a good rant can make us feel better but it won’t resolve the issues concerned but don’t think for one minute you’re shouting will sway me in the slightest. Oops! Sorry, got to go “the baby has just thrown his dummy out of the pram yet again.” Oh the joys of parenthood!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is no need for you to condescend me with your reference to your baby's dummy. I am not concerned about your personal response. I'll use this forum how I choose, and if I discover there is another person experiencing similar then this forum has proven useful.
I am ranting about Renault - and you are ranting about me! This is a forum about Renault, so I believe I have come to the right place. I am driving a vehicle which cost £18k less than twoyears ago, not a 10 year old clio worth £100, I think I have reason to complain!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts