Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My offside headlight has got cloudy so want some advice, now do I spend £20 on a cleaning kit or replace it at £120 as to me my headlight is really cloudy and the lens is crazed, so if cleaned how long before it wants cleaning again, so your advice would be appreciated (y)

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Got any wet and dry handy?
Have a go with what have you, within reason, nothing less than 600 to start, go up to 1200 and then try a bit of Brasso. There is always Brasso in the press. Ours has been to all six of our houses.
Do it on a small corner and see what happens.
Some put UV wax on after. I have seen UV resist adhesive film.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,276 Posts
Depends how crazed it is?
Cloudy is not an issue, any V fine grit abrasive...T Cut et al and a bit of elbow grease, preferably with a power mop, will do it.
AFAIK, that's all the kits are with some masking tape and instructions thrown in.

·
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got any wet and dry handy?
Have a go with what have you, within reason, nothing less than 600 to start, go up to 1200 and then try a bit of Brasso. There is always Brasso in the press. Ours has been to all six of our houses.
Do it on a small corner and see what happens.
Some put UV wax on after. I have seen UV resist adhesive film.
Thanks for your info Brendan but had a real look at it today but the crazing looks really deep, try and photo it if I can but at the mo its looking like a new headlight

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,339 Posts
No , not a new Headlight Frank.. money that is,
Got a buffer, or a drill pad attachment..

make sure the pad is wet before applying a Small amount of toothpaste..
Give it a go..
Just one small area, ..
Be surprised how much comes off,
Or before trying to see if it will work, spray some WD40 over the headlight, if the image is now clear then the buffer will work ok,

·
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Stu i did try toothpaste but didn't have any real effect, perhaps I'm not putting the effort in!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,830 Posts
I have had good results from it, also Solvol Autosol.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Hi,
Couple of years ago I tried most of the above on daughters Clio, got the lens looking good to the eye.
However at the MOT test the light beam was still not correct and replacement was only option.
£150 for a pair of Chinese replacements, two years on they still look new & these lights
perform better then the originals ever did.

Al

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Did one of mine 18months ago. Really hard work and the electric drill spread muck all over the engine bay. Also found a UV sealant to finish it off but it needs doing all over again now. You need to take the outside protective layer completely off. Toothpaste wouldn't cut it. Even stuff like t-cut. Needed the wet and dry and still hard work. I think my headlights must be Kevlar. If I could find a replacement at that price, that will be my choice next time.

·
39,339 Posts

·
39,339 Posts

·
22,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your replies but I have come to the conclusion that it would be better to replace the headlight as a long term cure.
Have put these three pics up to show you why I think it's better to replace :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts