Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Laguna Initiale 2.0 IDE Petrol Manual, 31k miles.

For some time now I have noticed a clunk noise when braking in reverse.

Only evident a very slow speed. For example, reversing up my drive (tight drive with a very very slight incline) I apply the brakes to slow/stop and there is a clunk. Sounds like from the front of the car.

I also get it reversing into a space in car park for work.

If I drive forward and then reverse again it does not do it the second time. Seems the clunk needs time to build up :)

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi this sound very like one of your cv joints on the drivshaft does it clunk when on full lock i wish i could help more cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not tried it on full lock recently.

I do recall however, that 3 years ago when the car was less than a year old, I noticed a clunk on full lock. I had the dealer look at it at the time, and was told that there was nothing wrong, and indeed nothig has dropped off!

Since then though the gearbox has been removed to change the clutch (by a main dealer) and therefore the driveshaft on the passenger side. The refit was bodged by the dealer and the gaitor fitted badly causing oil loss. This was rectified. I honestly can't recall though whether the clunk was before or after the gearbox removal or not.

Car is under Harmony warranty, but is CV joint something which is likely to be covered or not?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes i had this problem as well last year with clunking at the cv joint but the warranty company would not replace it because the car was still driving and the joint was not broken i had the cv boot re-packed with grease and a new cv clamp put on and no clunking since but most garages would not re-pack the joint they would just rather replace the whole cv drive shaft:crazy: :steam: i hope you get this replace or sorted out all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

The car is in for it's MOT in a month or so (sooner if my leaking gear oil needs looking at urgently) so I will get them to check it over at the same time.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
When reversing the torque from the transmission will be applied to the engine mountings and exhaust brackets will be applied in the opposite direction - not an uncommon fault with faulty exhaust brackets.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have lived with this for a long time now, so this can definately wait until the next visit to the dealer I think.

I will definately raise it though as I hadn't even thought too much about it until I read someone else on here talking about clunks.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Depends on how long you are going to wait - a simple repair now could be much cheaper than a new exhaust then. It's up to you but in my experience I've never seen a car repair itself yet. Preventative maintenance is always the cheapest option.:)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL - No, I'm not expecting it to repair itself!

My MOT is due at the beginning of May (well that's 1 month before but that will be when I get it done), so I hope to simply wait until then.

I fugure it's lasted this long with the clunk so a month extra won't hurt!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts