Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this possibly has came up before but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a Renault clio 2003 with a rattle/clunking noise when it goes over speed ups even at slow speeds, I've changed the track rod ends being as they were pretty simple to do and I gave the tie rods as bit of tug and no movement, I've since drove the car after repplacing and it's not solved the problem. The drivers side tyre is work on the inside edge but they he obese passenger side tyre is worn evenly and no problems on that front. Obviously the tracking is out now due to replacing the tie rods however before changing them the steering wheel was a nearly at 1 o'clock when driving straight and if you let go of the wheel I would drift to the left. Replacing the track rod ends seem's to have cured the drift slightly and the steering wheel is now straighter. Any ideas what the cause could be for the noise? Or any tests I can do to find out? The care is obviously old so looking at most of the control arms etc are pretty rusty and looking tired.
Apologies for the long winded but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance

Ryan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi everyone, this possibly has came up before but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a Renault clio 2003 with a rattle/clunking noise when it goes over speed ups even at slow speeds, I've changed the track rod ends being as they were pretty simple to do and I gave the tie rods as bit of tug and no movement, I've since drove the car after repplacing and it's not solved the problem. The drivers side tyre is work on the inside edge but they he obese passenger side tyre is worn evenly and no problems on that front. Obviously the tracking is out now due to replacing the tie rods however before changing them the steering wheel was a nearly at 1 o'clock when driving straight and if you let go of the wheel I would drift to the left. Replacing the track rod ends seem's to have cured the drift slightly and the steering wheel is now straighter. Any ideas what the cause could be for the noise? Or any tests I can do to find out? The care is obviously old so looking at most of the control arms etc are pretty rusty and looking tired.
Apologies for the long winded but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance

Ryan
I do not like the sound of that tyre wearing on the inside and not on the other so I would be very wary of it if I was you. Sounds like something has happened to the camber so check the strut. lower arm bushes, spring, wheel bearing etc. Have you just bought this car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the car around 3 years. I've had both wheels off to do the track rod end's and only one has worn Uneven which is the drivers side. I'll try and take a look at the things you be mentioned over the weekend. The once thing I did notice was the drive shaft going to the wheel has slight play in it if you pull it in and out I wasn't sure if that was normal on a car this age possibly? I'm looking at selling the car soon but I want to fix the noise first. Thank's for getting back to me

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hello Ryan,
A couple of different problems here: The tracking needs sorting out, best go to a trusted garage for that, get the steering wheel straight and the front wheels aligned. The garage will pick up on any major suspension problem while they do that.
But often clunking over speed bumps can be anti-roll bar bushes or drop links. Best to check them before randomly replacing them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had the car around 3 years. I've had both wheels off to do the track rod end's and only one has worn Uneven which is the drivers side. I'll try and take a look at the things you be mentioned over the weekend. The once thing I did notice was the drive shaft going to the wheel has slight play in it if you pull it in and out I wasn't sure if that was normal on a car this age possibly? I'm looking at selling the car soon but I want to fix the noise first. Thank's for getting back to me
The reason I asked is it is very easy to forget a bit of history, done it myself. The other thing is the tyre wearing on only one side is not a good sign as the camber is not adjustable on a Clio and if it was tracking it would be both front tyres so something is knocking out the camber. The driveshaft is nothing to worry about really, you would normally here a clicking from it on hard lock if its that bad. But the fact that the camber is enough out on one side to wear the tyre is a sign that something is way out or about to give up completely.
All the best

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi mate is it just simply check for play in each of these sections? After reading Glen's comment's it sound's more problematic than I thought or hope haha. I mean I was going to get the tracking done after the fault was fix because I didn't want to buy a new tyre then have it worn on one edge so soon after again.

Hello Ryan,
A couple of different problems here: The tracking needs sorting out, best go to a trusted garage for that, get the steering wheel straight and the front wheels aligned. The garage will pick up on any major suspension problem while they do that.
But often clunking over speed bumps can be anti-roll bar bushes or drop links. Best to check them before randomly replacing them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lets put it this way I was looking for a reason that only one tyre was worn so I am thinking that you have only just bought it and the spare would be the same as the tyre on it so no go there. You say that the steering is way off line has this always been the case or did it happen all of a sudden. Are you sure it has not been kerbed or something like that. Unless I am missing something I cannot think of anything else that would throw the camber out that far.
All the best

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds quite worrying Glen do you think it would be best for a garage to take a look? I'd be happy to take it to a garage as long as they were prepared to stop and call me on finding the fault rather than just repairing as swell and then getting a
The reason I asked is it is very easy to forget a bit of history, done it myself. The other thing is the tyre wearing on only one side is not a good sign as the camber is not adjustable on a Clio and if it was tracking it would be both front tyres so something is knocking out the camber. The driveshaft is nothing to worry about really, you would normally here a clicking from it on hard lock if its that bad. But the fact that the camber is enough out on one side to wear the tyre is a sign that something is way out or about to give up completely.
All the best
Lets put it this way I was looking for a reason that only one tyre was worn so I am thinking that you have only just bought it and the spare would be the same as the tyre on it so no go there. You say that the steering is way off line has this always been the case or did it happen all of a sudden. Are you sure it has not been kerbed or something like that. Unless I am missing something I cannot think of anything else that would throw the camber out that far.
All the best
Well my Girlfriend drives it so it's possible! Haha it did used to be straight but when I noticed it was about a month ago that the steering wheel was pointing over to the right on straight roads. However since doing the track rod ends the wheel has Straightened although the track is slightly off. However the clunky noise is still there

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
@CLEME1995
Does it bounce and settle OK? (I had difficulty checking that on mine as I'm a lightweight!)
When you changed the track rod ends, while up on the jack did you rock the wheel sideways and top to bottom to look for play?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do hope your girlfriend does not read this or you are going to be in the doghouse!!! What you can do depends on if you can lift the car safely eg axle stands etc NOT the supplied jack. But first easy check would be the height from ground to sill behind the front wheels they should be within 5mm of each other or at least close. Then lift the car and as Wozz says top and bottom of wheel and side to side and if you have something like a tyre lever get in there and look for movement if you are not comfortable with that I would think any decent indie would be willing to give you a prognosis. If you do it yourself i must emphasize that you are going to be pulling and pushing under there so the way it is raised must be beyond reproach.
All the best

·
Registered
92 Posts
Opps sorry forgot senior moment again another quick check without lifting the car. if you have a spirit level. With the car on flat ground and the wheels straight ahead check vertically on one side see where the bubble sits and try the other side and they should be similar. Its a bit rough and ready but if the camber is way out it will give a clue.
All the best

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,330 Posts
Apart from what others have said, check the springs...often the last coil breaks and gives a rattle/clunk over bumps...isn't readily seen...careful if putting hands in there, the ends can be razor sharp.

If you cannot find anything, find a local friendly MOT station and ask them to look...expect a cost but they are used to finding play and clunks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your help, I will have a check of everything over this weekend and see if I find anything, the only lifting equipment I have is a jack and axle stands which is okay but much easier if you can lift it higher up etc. I'll see how I get on and let you guys know. Thanks again

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
5,214 Posts
Bottom ball joint? if you have play in any thing on the steering you would be wasting brass
having it tracked till it is sorted.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Agree with above ideas. Another way of getting a cost effective check is an MoT. At least you know the cost of the diagnosis in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I won't be having the tracking done until the problem is sorted that's why I'm trying to sort it before as you said Ralph it's going to be a waste of money. Unfortunately the Mot still has 6months to go. Maybe I can at least get someone to have a check if I find nothing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay so a quick update the only thing I've found movement in is these (shown in the picture) the other side had a very slight but the one shown in the picture which is also the drivers side has quite a bit not sure this would make the noise i'm hearing? Lower ball joint seem fine with no really movment.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could it potentially cause that tyre where too and the pulling to the left that it was doing? I really hope it's this! I will most likely change both because the other one the rubber boot looks ruined. How easy would this be to change from working on the floor?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts