Independent Renault Forums banner

Clunking noise on Renault clio 2003 1.2

4K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  skippy glen 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this possibly has came up before but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a Renault clio 2003 with a rattle/clunking noise when it goes over speed ups even at slow speeds, I've changed the track rod ends being as they were pretty simple to do and I gave the tie rods as bit of tug and no movement, I've since drove the car after repplacing and it's not solved the problem. The drivers side tyre is work on the inside edge but they he obese passenger side tyre is worn evenly and no problems on that front. Obviously the tracking is out now due to replacing the tie rods however before changing them the steering wheel was a nearly at 1 o'clock when driving straight and if you let go of the wheel I would drift to the left. Replacing the track rod ends seem's to have cured the drift slightly and the steering wheel is now straighter. Any ideas what the cause could be for the noise? Or any tests I can do to find out? The care is obviously old so looking at most of the control arms etc are pretty rusty and looking tired.
Apologies for the long winded but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance

Ryan

#41 ·
Hi folks just a quick question for those still interested... I've got the wheel off ready to change the drop link's and I just wondered if these have been put on the wrong way in the past? The Allen key/ torx bolt is on the bottom and the nut on the top? Is this correct so I don't fit the new ones the wrong way. Thank you

Attachments

#47 ·
Haha well the other side the passenger side looks the right way round but maybe that one hasn't been changed by same people. I've ran into a problem trying to get the droplink compressed enough to get the nut on. Is there any tools I can get to help or tips?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.