Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the latest issue with the damn thing is a clunk when steering and going over speed ramps etc. You can recreate it with the car stopped by wiggling the steering wheel off centre through the 11 o'clock position and then back.

Everything around the wheels seems tight but when it happens the spring seems to jerk around. This happens on both sides of the car.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I would say the strut top bush/bearing, a very common problem dealers keep bucket loads in stock as they change loads.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whilst investigating I noticed that the shock had dirty brown drip stains around it, good this be a sign of shock failure as well, or is it more likely to be gunk from the road?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
So it will be still under warranty ?.

If so get it booked in, Tho shock absorbers will be under wear and tear so not covered by warranty .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We bought it second hand, warranty expired in January unfortunately, was first registered on 17th Jan 2004.

We have the MOT certificate and the failure sheet which only showed that the rear tyres needed replacing which they have been, There were no advisories about the suspension

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, it's back in the garage and they can't find anything wrong with it. My guess is they've got it on a lift which has taken the load off the suspension top mounts. Dumbasses

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, it's gonna have to go to a Renault dealer. The garage we took it to says that the suspension mounts are main dealer parts only. What a joke, surely they could get them from the main dealer.

Any idea how much these mounts cost?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Cactusbob, if i were you id ring Renault and get the parts you need yourself and then take it back to the other garage as there labour charges are more than likely 50% cheaper than the dealers, also might be worth asking for a discount as sometimes they have large amounts of stock they need to clear i got 30% on my brakes. Might be worth explaining its only just out of warranty too?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the garage down the road wants to charge me £170 per side to replace the top mounts, anyone know how much these mounts cost?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts