Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to reverse my Caravan the other day up s grassy slope (not that steep either) and had a fight to get it reversed up. Anyway, I thought that the wheels were spinning on the wet grass as I wasn't moving. Then I smelt smoke and realised the clutch was over heating. In all my years of driving I've never had any clutch problems, so I don't know how serious this is.

Cars driving fine now & no issues with changing gear. Also got the van back home a few days later with no problems.

Would it 'just' have been the two flywheels rubbing against each other? If so, how much damage is this likely to have caused? She has 98k on the clock.

Thanks
Mark

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Clucth burn

It does sound a bit like your clutch is on the way out, although you were asking quite a lot of it.

Next time your out, put it in a high gear at low speed and floor it, if the engine accelerates faster than the car then you have a definite issue

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It does sound a bit like your clutch is on the way out, although you were asking quite a lot of it.

Next time your out, put it in a high gear at low speed and floor it, if the engine accelerates faster than the car then you have a definite issue
:) Cheers Pat. Yes, the van was very heavily laden I have to admit. Normally it reverses fine, but have never done it on a slope before, and not in damp, long grass. Will try that experiment next time I'm out! ;)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

The grass being damp is actually good news, as it will have limited the amount of slippage the clutch experienced.

Much worse if the wheels were completely stationary, and the clutch was slipping.

Best of luck.

Paul

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The grass being damp is actually good news, as it will have limited the amount of slippage the clutch experienced.

Much worse if the wheels were completely stationary, and the clutch was slipping.

Best of luck.

Paul
Cheers Paul....hadn't thought of it that way! :)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry guys, meant to post back here yesterday. Took it out for a quick spin & changed from 2nd to 5th at about 25-30mph & shoved the right foot down. Happy to report that the engine didn't over rev. Kept at a constant engine speed without picking up any road speed at all. Also went from 3rd to 6th as well just to make sure & same happened, so hopefully I've nothing more than a little bit more wear to worry about!

Thanks again

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

Sounds hopeful to me.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts