Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Sorry I have searched the forum and found one thread talking about something similar and they say it could be the pedal return spring?

This has just happended to me in the last few days. My car is a 2007 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.6. It has just reached 14,000 miles so it couldnt be a bad clutch problem?

When taking off in first gear the car can judder a bit or when I am riding the clutch on a hill at a traffic light etc but this new problem is when I actually push the clutch pedal in and let out. There is a kind of clicking noise that sounds like a spring or something?

I have contacted my Renault branch and they simply said they would need to look at it at a cost of £90 alone?

Can anyone please help me here

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
29 views and no responses? :confused:

Please someone help me here before I bring the car to Renault. I dont want them saying its a big job when its not.

Update

I put my head under the dashboard earlier and from what I can see there is some sort of object that the pedal pushes onto? When the pedal is pressed in it hits this and in turn pushes this thing in a little? Is this the spring? I tried to grease this thing earlier but the clicking noise still seems to be present.

The car is driving really well and as I say it only has 14,000 miles on it so this couldnt be a major problem, could it?

When I press the pedal in and let it out again I can also feel this click on the bottom of my shoe. It is a little annoying and I am also afraid it could lead to something major if not rectified

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch Depressing Noise (Clicking Noise (spring))?

Hello all

Sorry I have searched the forum and found one thread talking about something similar and they say it could be the pedal return spring?

I also put this thread in the cars and motoring section and its had 29 views without a reply so I thought I would try my luck in here.

This has just happended to me in the last few days. My car is a 2007 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.6. It has just reached 14,000 miles so it couldnt be a bad clutch problem?

The problem is when I actually push the clutch pedal in and let out. There is a kind of clicking noise that sounds like a spring or something?

I have contacted my Renault branch and they simply said they would need to look at it at a cost of £90 alone?

Please someone help me here before I bring the car to Renault. I dont want them saying its a big job when its not.

Update

I put my head under the dashboard earlier and from what I can see there is some sort of object that the pedal pushes onto? When the pedal is pressed in it hits this and in turn pushes this thing in a little? Is this the spring? I tried to grease this thing earlier but the clicking noise still seems to be present.

The car is driving really well and as I say it only has 14,000 miles on it so this couldnt be a major problem, could it?

When I press the pedal in and let it out again I can also feel this click on the bottom of my shoe. It is a little annoying and I am also afraid it could lead to something major if not rectified

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a 1997 or 2007 model? :)

The ''thing'' it pushes on to is the clutch pedal stop.

I'd personally keep grease away from the pedal area for obvious reasons.

Oops sorry mate. It is a 2007 model. Going to have to change that on my sig.

Do you know what this clicking noise is? What does the clutch pedal stop do and could this be the thing making the noise?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Oops sorry mate. It is a 2007 model. Going to have to change that on my sig.

Do you know what this clicking noise is? What does the clutch pedal stop do and could this be the thing making the noise?
On mine it stops the pedal hitting the floor, :)

Is the stop loose or moveable?

I'd get as close as possible and press the pedal down by hand if possible to locate the exact place the noise is comimg from.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On mine it stops the pedal hitting the floor, :)

Is the stop loose or moveable?

I'd get as close as possible and press the pedal down by hand if possible to locate the exact place the noise is comimg from.

Sorry mate I am in work at the moment and cant look. I havent got a clue about these sort of things.

Yesterday I did push down on the handle by hand and it seems the pedal only makes this clicking noise when it is nearly fully pushed in, say three quarters of the way?

I dont think the stop thing moves?

Does this sound like a big job to you?

Renault have said it is £90 to look at it but if they find a problem it is fixed and the £90 then comes off the bill. However I dont want them to say it was something major costing mega bucks etc.

I am trying to find out if this would be a simple job that costs anything up to £50 etc

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
The clutch is adjusted as it wears {or the cable stretches} by a automatic quadrant system to compensate.
This is situated above the clutch pedal, it may be this.
Its difficult to diagnose without actually seeing/hearing it.

:)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clutch is adjusted as it wears {or the cable stretches} by a automatic quadrant system to compensate.
This is situated above the clutch pedal, it may be this.
Its difficult to diagnose without actually seeing/hearing it.

:)

Could the clutch have worn much though after just 14,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Could the clutch have worn much though after just 14,000 miles?
It adjusts the pedal automatically so the pedals are all level, it had to be done manually some years ago.

As regards clutch wear it depends largely on your driving style.

As a rule a clutch should last around 50k if you drive normally.

Go to a good independant garage, see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It adjusts the pedal automatically so the pedals are all level, it had to be done manually some years ago.

As regards clutch wear it depends largely on your driving style.

As a rule a clutch should last around 50k if you drive normally.

Go to a good independant garage, see what they have to say.

The clutch itself feels fine though. The gears etc slide in and out etc without any problem at all.

This clicking noise has only developed the past few days. My pedals do all look level.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
The clutch itself feels fine though. The gears etc slide in and out etc without any problem at all.

This clicking noise has only developed the past few days. My pedals do all look level.
I'd not worry too much then.

If it worsens or it annoys you have someone look at it.
A good reputable independant garage won't charge for looking at it.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Re: Clutch Depressing Noise (Clicking Noise (spring))?

Some models have an electronic switch on the clutch pedal that acts as an anti-stall switch and/or a safety switch to prevent engine start if the car is in gear.

If you could post a picture or a good description of the switch some members may be able to assist. It is not unknown for switch to go faulty and some can be reset but without knowing the exact type it is hard to determine what the fault may be.:)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Some models have an electronic switch on the clutch pedal that acts as an anti-stall switch and/or a safety switch to prevent engine start if the car is in gear.

If you could post a picture or a good description of the switch some members may be able to assist. It is not unknown for switch to go faulty and some can be reset but without knowing the exact type it is hard to determine what the fault may be.:)
Sorry I dont know what you mean by the switch?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

An electrical switch that is activated by the clutch pedal mechanism
I really appreciate you both getting back to me.

Do you think this is what could be making the clicking sound?

Would it be a big job to get repaired and if so do any of you have an idea what is could cost?

Thanks again

G

·

As already suggested post a digital photo of the top of the clutch pedal area as it's difficult to visualize the source of the problem not having model specific experience of your Megane.

Other forum members might have already experienced the exact problem you have and therfore be able to answer your problem specifically.

Look to the left of this screen you might have to scroll down to see "Fun stuff" click on and down load "vBulletinImg" which you can use to paste photos in to your posts.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

As already suggested post a digital photo of the top of the clutch pedal area as it's difficult to visualize the source of the problem not having model specific experience of your Megane.

Other forum members might have already experienced the exact problem you have and therfore be able to answer your problem specificall.

Look to the left of this screen you might have to scroll down to see "Fun stuff" click on and down load "vBulletinImg" which you can use to paste photos in to your posts.

Ok. Ill try to take a photo after work and post up. Thanks again for your time and effort in helping me out

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts

Is the rubber pad that your shoe rests on when you press the clutch loose if so could that be the cause

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The image below is the little thing the pedal hits against?

The image below is a photo I took when I got my phone up behind the dashboard. Dont know if this helps?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.