Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Maggie (our Megane II) to the garage for clutch repair and they said to sell her on eBay for spares or scrap her as the repair would cost more than she's worth.

I can't believe this. She's in great condition for a 2003 Megane. 78,000 miles. She has the usual problems. One of the rear windows won't go down. Crankshaft sensor kept cutting out the engine when it got hot. The service light / airbag warning comes on and we have to wiggle the under seat looms until its "fixed". All sorted because of what I've read on this forum so I'm hoping you can all help again. This is my first post.

The break down.

On a quick run to the station to pick up the girlfriend the clutch was making a funny noise when ever I pushed it down and I could feel less and less back pressure on the pedal until eventually there was no resistance / back pressure on the clutch pedal at all and she wouldn't go into gear. Switched her off and she'd go into gear as normal. Started her up and again she would not go into gear. Pushed her to the side of the road and there was a long solid line of brake/clutch fluid trailing behind from where she broke down.

Seems to me a pipe had come off or burst or maybe a seal broke in the clutch hydraulics.

2 days later we took her to the garage and they said the gear box would need opening up and a possible recondition. They'd have to take the engine out etc. Advised us it would make more sense to sell her / scrap her and buy a new car.

As far as I know (or should I say my haynes manual says) the slave cylinder is the only hydraulic part inside the gear box. If this went would it dump all the fluid on the road? Surely it would stay inside the gear box. The reason I think they were saying this is when they had very, very quick look underneath the only place they could see fluid dripping was on the bottom of the gear box. I think this came from 5 minutes before when they had look from the top and clumsily filled up the reservoir spilling it everywhere. Also the engine was still running from the AA tow when the mechanic got in and like I said she wouldn't go into gear with the engine on so maybe that's why he was thinking the gear box had gone.

My question is are they right about the gearbox and should we scrap her or are they talking nonsense? I can't work out why they would turn away work if it was a simple repair but then mechanic friends I've spoken to have said it sounds like its easily fixable. They don't live close enough to look them selves. She was running as normal before. The clutch pedal was the only thing that felt and sounded different. No slipping or judder. Brakes still work.

Any suggestions ideas are welcome. Don't want to pay the £70 fee to tow her to another garage for second opinion for them to say the same thing.

Cheers

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,390 Posts
if it is the slave cylinder inside the gearbox then it is a lot of work to get it fixed if just a pipe blown it may be fixable not seen how they are plumed up so its a guess also is it the master cylinder but with fluid dripping out the gearbox i dought it but worth checking
Ron

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
21,836 Posts
The break down.

On a quick run to the station to pick up the girlfriend the clutch was making a funny noise when ever I pushed it down and I could feel less and less back pressure on the pedal until eventually there was no resistance / back pressure on the clutch pedal at all and she wouldn't go into gear. Switched her off and she'd go into gear as normal. Started her up and again she would not go into gear. Pushed her to the side of the road and there was a long solid line of brake/clutch fluid trailing behind from where she broke down.

Seems to me a pipe had come off or burst or maybe a seal broke in the clutch hydraulics.

2 days later we took her to the garage and they said the gear box would need opening up and a possible recondition. They'd have to take the engine out etc. Advised us it would make more sense to sell her / scrap her and buy a new car.

As far as I know (or should I say my haynes manual says) the slave cylinder is the only hydraulic part inside the gear box. If this went would it dump all the fluid on the road? Surely it would stay inside the gear box. The reason I think they were saying this is when they had very, very quick look underneath the only place they could see fluid dripping was on the bottom of the gear box. I think this came from 5 minutes before when they had look from the top and clumsily filled up the reservoir spilling it everywhere. Also the engine was still running from the AA tow when the mechanic got in and like I said she wouldn't go into gear with the engine on so maybe that's why he was thinking the gear box had gone.

My question is are they right about the gearbox and should we scrap her or are they talking nonsense? I can't work out why they would turn away work if it was a simple repair but then mechanic friends I've spoken to have said it sounds like its easily fixable. They don't live close enough to look them selves. She was running as normal before. The clutch pedal was the only thing that felt and sounded different. No slipping or judder. Brakes still work.

Any suggestions ideas are welcome. Don't want to pay the £70 fee to tow her to another garage for second opinion for them to say the same thing.

Cheers
Inside the bell housing [not gearbox] is where you will find the concentric slave cylinder that disengages the clutch when you press down the clutch pedal to change gear..over time these leak and to repair the clutch you do have to take the gear box out throw away the old cylinder and replace it with a new one..now its always the best policy to look at the condition of the clutch plate and pressure plate while your at it and its false policy not to do so after all if a plate should ware in the future your will really be well and truly hacked off wont you..whether an owner should scrap his or her own vehicle can only be decided by that owner ..you will have to weigh up the pro's against the con's on that one..for sure you will be paying out for a new clutch at least to get the car back on the road..good luck with that whatever you decide to do..:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My point is if it was the slave cylinder would it spill fluid all over the road? Surely the fluid would stay inside the bell housing. This wasn't a slow drip. There was a small puddle and a 6m unbroken line of fluid where we pushed her to a space to park which only started to break up into a zig zag dotted line of drips as we pushed her back and forward to reverse park her into the space. This would seem to me to be the reservoir emptying out into the road from somewhere external rather than out through the slave cylinder into the bell housing and then onto the road.

·
6,390 Posts
My point is if it was the slave cylinder would it spill fluid all over the road? Surely the fluid would stay inside the bell housing. This wasn't a slow drip. There was a small puddle and a 6m unbroken line of fluid where we pushed her to a space to park which only started to break up into a zig zag dotted line of drips as we pushed her back and forward to reverse park her into the space. This would seem to me to be the reservoir emptying out into the road from somewhere external rather than out through the slave cylinder into the bell housing and then onto the road.
it will leak out onto the road the bell housing is not sealed
Ron

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
21,836 Posts
Obvious way to sort whether or not its the cylinder or a broken pipe would b to get your head under the bonnet and have a look..start at the master cylinder [thats the place where you put the fluid ]and follow the pipe work down to the gearbox bell housing ..if you cant find any exterior pipe work leaking then its the concentric slave at fault.. probably..:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why was the engine. Running from a tow? Wouldn't be a good idea to try to select a gear with no clutch which would be obvious with no fluid. Seems like they did the right thing topping it up to see where the fluid was leaking from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why not get someone to top it up while you look to see where the fluid leak is, could possibly be running down from somewhere else and dripping from the lowest point(the gearbox). Gearbox troubles normaly let you know when they are starting to give up. I did have one go once and it took the clutch with it but no fluid leak.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Look at the bottom of the join where the gearbox meets the engine - that's where the slave cylinder usually dumps it escaping fluid. If it has indeed failed then it highly likely the clutch friction plate is contaminated. If this is the case you are looking at the cost of a complete clutch kit replacement.

·
9,161 Posts
Sounds to me like a classic case of slave cylinder failure. You should be able to tell by the colour and texture of the leaking fluid of its coming from the hydraulics or gearbox. I'd say its unlikely a gearbox seal has gone otherwise you'd have noticed tell-tale drips on the ground ages ago, and your change in clutch pedal 'resistance' points to slave cylinder.
If you go ahead with the job get a complete brand new clutch and thrust bearing and slave cylinder (make sure the invoice relects this too).
How much were the garage suggesting the job would cost? Do you feel they are trustworthy? I'm surprised they are suggesting a gearbox strip down too. Seems excessive to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Engine running from tow so that brakes and power steering would work. Plus AA guy said so.

I'm getting a clearer idea of where everything is now. I still don't know why garage said gearbox would need taking out and reconditioning. The way he described it the slave cylinder was inside it and would have exploded sending bits into the gears and wrecking them and the hydraulic fluid will have contaminated the oil so it may need to be sent off for cleaning and reconditioning. That's why I thought it would not leak on to the road if it was the slave cylinder broken as a gear box is sealed.

Garage quoted £400 just to take out gear box and have a look. Plus what ever work needed to be done on top after that. Said it could run up to £1200 or more worst case and as many expensive things were due to be fixed such as timing chain best to sell it for scrap and buy another.

Like taking your dog to the vet with a sore paw and being told its done for and best to put it down I felt. Its the girlfriend's car, she was really upset.

:censored::censored:

I thought they were trust worthy as they had lots of good reviews on several sites. Couldn't go to our usual garage as its too far away for our basic AA cover. Plus I'm not sure I trust them after what happened last time with the TDC sensor. But that's a different story. :)

Think I'll just have to see what I can with the limited tools I have following Mad noel, Phil and Postman Pats suggestions then I can go to the usual garage armed with the correct knowledge. Back in the day at my parents house with my dad's garage and equipment I'd attempt the whole job, get my mates round and make a day of it. But now the car is parked on a busy road not safe or ideal for major repairs and the area of London I live in I reckon the battery and tools will probably be missing when I take my head back out from under the bonnet after finding the leak. :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Looks like the garage just don't want the work - exploding slave cylinders (my a&se). They either don't know or are spoofing so obviously I suggest you run a mile.

It could be a slave cylinder or hydraulic pipe problem so at present neither you or the garage know what is wrong but ideally you'll need to top up the master cylinder and track down the leak.

If it is the slave cylinder is at fault I reckon £650 should cover replacement, etc.

In the interests of your safety and other road users I strongly recommend you do NOT attempt to drive the car but have it recovered to a safe place. Without an operational clutch you will not have proper control of the vehicle.

Tell your girl friend not to be upset it's only a car - cars can be replaced people can't.

·
9,161 Posts
The way he described it the slave cylinder was inside it and would have exploded sending bits into the gears

Garage quoted £400 just to take out gear box and have a look. Plus what ever work needed to be done on top after that. Said it could run up to £1200 or more

and the area of London I live in I reckon the battery and tools will probably be missing when I take my head back out from under the bonnet after finding the leak. :)
I think the garage is talking complete bullocks ... exploding slave cylinders :eek: - unlikely, bits into gears :eek: - did you drive over a bomb? £400 for a look :eek: - a whole clutch job should be done for that.
If you're in London you can't be far from a Mr Clutch or similar fast-fit clutch centre. It'd be worth you paying for a tow to somewhere like this.

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
:iagree:

Clutch on a Mk1 Phase 2 & Mk 2 is a time consuming b'stard. Done the job meself but not a slave cylinder YET. IMHO, as mentioned above, the garage doesn't want the job & is trying (succesfully)to frighten you. I reckon about £500 all in at most. Cost me £107 for the clutch bits. Visit Eurocar parts website Type in your Reg No & clutch kit, that will give you a guide parts cost. Plus about 6 hours labour. The gearbox has NOT been damaged. Change your garage, he has shown his money grabbing hand :eek:
Perhaps Mr Clutchman will be along soon with more facts.

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
He pumps up the bill and advises you scrap it.
I'll give you £XXX he says and you say ok then because lets face it, who's gonna buy a car with no clutch.

He slips in a new clutch when he gets time, paying only for the parts, and away it goes.

Imagine the look on his daughters face as he hands her the key to your shiny Maggie Megane on her Birthday
One very happy daughter.:hug:
Happy days. :toast:

Just a story, but it happens.....alegedly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That was one of the most confusing parts of the visit. If it is such a big money job why would he turn it down. By the looks of things it wouldn't be him getting dirty and actually doing the job himself, it would be one of the overalled mechanics.

We thought maybe he made more money from MOTs so wanted to keep the bay free but we did come up with the more sinister ebay theory as he kept mentioning it. He keeps a look out for a nice car with a fixable problem. Ramps up the cost and advises to sell on ebay for spares. Waits for car to appear on ebay, buys it and fixes it and sells it at a profit.

He seemed like a stand up nice guy though. I reckon I'll find out soon enough. Car will be going to another garage sometime this week. I'll let you know all what happens. I'm still hoping its item 5 on this diagram

apparently has some diaphragm in it that fails a lot. Am I right in thinking items 2, 3 and 4 are for the RHD conversion.

Thanks all for your help.

Please don't post any copyright image's whatsoever

If in doubt always refer to the Forums rules Thanks

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
My Guna is in for a clucth replacment later this week this includes a DMF, 3 piece clutch kit (Slave cyl, friction plate & cover disk) parts and labour just under £1000

hope this helps in making your mind up.

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts