Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm new
I have a 2004 late Scenic 1.9dci priviledge with a problem
When starting either the clutch or brake pedal has to be pressed as well as the start button,now it only starts if the brake pedal and start button are pressed
I took it to the Renault Agent where I bought it,they did a repair to broken wire and fitting new connector to clutch pedal switch(so they said) I pressed the clutch pedal and the car started fine.
6 days later sitting in the car waiting for my wife I pressed the start button to activate the accessories and the engine started(lucky I was in neutral) it would actually start any time the start button was pressed without either clutch or brake.
I rang renault ,told them what had happened and booked the car in to be looked at since then the fault ha gone back to my original one that they had supposedly fixed has anyone any ideas what this could be PLEASE Barry2534

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi barram

Not to sure of this safety feature but the wiring/switches need checking with a meter to ensure the correct operation.

Any auto-electrician would check it out for you,or have a go yourself with a mutimeter.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Barry,

It was a common fault on the early Megane IIs cable was to short resulting in non starting with the clutch pedal.

Tho I believe yours to be some sensor fault, there is a number of sensors linked to the starting cycle, The car should not start in gear without the clutch pedal depressed. Unfortunately once the start button is pressed you cannot stop the ignition cycle as in a car with key ignition where you would return the key to the off position.

Hopefully this problem will be resolved on your next visit to the Service Dept

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch pedal switch

Hi Ottaman
Thanks for the reply I have just had a look at offending switch and found why it changed back to the original fault,the wire connector to the switch had not been clicked in properly and was not making a connection so I plugged it back in and now can start without depressing the clutch, the brake, even with it in gear.
The car is booked in on the 22nd but after talking to them I am not cnfident at a happy outcome but we shall see
Barry:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
similar symptoms

Hi everyone, new member.
Looks like I may have the same problem. On Friday the car wouldn't start with the clutch pressed in but would start if the brake was pressed. Then the next day it caught us out by not starting with either. It is now with the renault dealer - hope it doesn't cost too much.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi everyone, new member.
Looks like I may have the same problem. On Friday the car wouldn't start with the clutch pressed in but would start if the brake was pressed. Then the next day it caught us out by not starting with either. It is now with the renault dealer - hope it doesn't cost too much.

Welcome to the Forums Johnboy :)

Keep us posted on the outcome Johnboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem fixed but....

Yes the renault dealer did find a cable connector problem and fixed it £59 thank you very much. They then couldn't start it as the batt was drained. (maybe from all the starting attempts by us) Anyway they charged it an gave the car a run before handing it over. Next day it wouldn't start, Batt is gone. They fitted a new one for free and knocked a tenner off - still £77 to pay though. Could accept that as the weather is cold and batt was stressed taht one died of death, but the car is only 3 and a half now and that is the 3rd batt ! They couldn't find any discharge occuring on the test. It must be going somewhere. perhaps I'll chat to the mrs on how she operates the car.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
wire connectors at clutch

Same problem here. Both wires have been knocked by feet, does anyone know where to get the crimp connector bits that are crimped over wires and inserted into plastic connector block. Excuse terminology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scenic Clutch Wire snapped

I have the same problem on a 54 plate Grand Scenic I've just bought, I not that fussed about getting it fixed as I just need to press break to start car. My question is is there likely to be a problem with leaving the wire broken?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Some models also use the clutch switch to activate an anti-stall device so if you begin to have problems in that respect you may need to have it repaired:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have now got the same issue on our 2004 Grand Scenic, with only the brake option working.

Can someone tell me where I find the switch and wiring please for the clutch.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply
Last night I looked at the various connectors around the pedal and could see no breaks or loose connections.
What i did see though was that the cables appeared to get trapped, when you depressed the clutch, in the rubber cover. Moving the cable path seemed to cure the problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had same problem a few months ago, not starting with clutch pedal. I looked under pedal and saw connection had broken. Took it to auto-electrician who shook his head and told me no-one could fix Renaults but dealers. I explained what I thought problem was ie broken wire, he had a look, fixed it in 10 mins and charged me a tenner. If you have car mats in footwell these can ride up and loosen or break the connections aswell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this problem on 05 megane, found a replacement plug at a scrap yard for £3 and have connected this to the existing wiring with a choc block, unfortunately this hasn't worked. Any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts