Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The problem i have is that when i press down the pedal for the clutch i get a griding noise, Ive been told that it is probably the release bearing.

All garages ive spoke to say that i have a dual mass flywheel and its going to be the best part of £1000 to do the lot.

I phoned renault dealer and they say that my 53 plate renault trafic 1.9dci does not have a dual mass flywheel.

Who do i believe, can any tell me what is correct ?

The best price i have got upto now is £550 but this does not included changing the flywheel it is only to change the clutch and release bearing, is this ok to do or it is daft not to change the lot ?

Please advice

Many thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

You wouldn't usually change the flywheel unless it was badly worn. You just change the friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing.

I don’t know about dual mass flywheels as I haven’t had anything to do with one of those yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
I have an early 2005 1.9 trafic on a 54 plate and it has a standard flywheel and not a dual mass flywheel, I would be surprised if a 53 plate would have one, there just trying to make a few more quid from you.
Tony

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
we have a vivaro 54 plate in bits at momment and it is also a solid flywheel might have been converted though no idea

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info so far, what kind of price should i be paying for a clutch and release baring change not including flywheel, is £550 about right ?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

The problem i have is that when i press down the pedal for the clutch i get a griding noise, Ive been told that it is probably the release bearing.

All garages ive spoke to say that i have a dual mass flywheel and its going to be the best part of £1000 to do the lot.

I phoned renault dealer and they say that my 53 plate renault trafic 1.9dci does not have a dual mass flywheel.

Who do i believe, can any tell me what is correct ?

The best price i have got upto now is £550 but this does not included changing the flywheel it is only to change the clutch and release bearing, is this ok to do or it is daft not to change the lot ?

Please advice

Many thanks
Does this model have a dual mass flywheel well If renault say NO it must not have one ! shop around for a clutch repair outlet and talk to them about it, also phone another dealer miles away and ask for a price on a dual mass flywheel for your traffic and see if they say it has one or not and take it from there, I'm certain you should be able to find a repair outlet that you are happy with but £500 for a bearing replacement is about right from what i know which is not a lot !! it's a messy job to remove the gearbox etc Hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
112 Posts
sounds like a very reasonable price if it includes the new clutch, bearing in mind the time to remove the gearbox, as far as flywheel i know the cars laguna, megane etc from the same time period with the f9q 1.9dci engine have a dmf but would imagine the vans would be fitted with solid mass as comfort is less of a concern in a van and its practicality is more the aim and to be fair if any one should know what type of flywheel the vehicle was released with then its renault

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds like a very reasonable price if it includes the new clutch, bearing in mind the time to remove the gearbox, as far as flywheel i know the cars laguna, megane etc from the same time period with the f9q 1.9dci engine have a dmf but would imagine the vans would be fitted with solid mass as comfort is less of a concern in a van and its practicality is more the aim and to be fair if any one should know what type of flywheel the vehicle was released with then its renault
You'll be surprised what Renault know and don't know.

I had a constant judder issue in my renault captur 1.5dci, when taking off at times in first gear.

I ended up getting into a battle with Renault, with them simply stating that it's a characteristic of the car. If they dismantled my gearbox to get to the clutch. If no damage was found, they would charge me for a new clutch and release bearing. Basically pushing me to decide against them doing the job.

During this ordeal. They (Renault) stated that my car was definitely fitted with a Dual Mass Flywheel and that the flywheel naturally causes this judder.

Suffice to say, during lockdown this year. Me and my old man removed the gearbox. To my utter "surprise", my car was fitted with a solid flywheel. With no damage to that. The release bearing was totally shot. On a car with less than 60K on it. LUK branded clutch and release bearing.

Changed both for Valeo. Guess what - no juddering since the replacement.

Sorry for Hijacking the thread for this short story. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to how little Renault know about their own vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts