Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Recently bought a clio rsi and noticed that every now and then the clutch will bang and go straight to the floor and then come up again and be like normal. Some mechanisc have said its just a rachet and another said i need a new clutch!! Has anyone else had this problem? plz help!!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Forums jen+chris.

I'm sure someone will be along to assist with your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Chipped Splines

Hi Vertogo - hows you keeping. Good I hope. Your last thread mentioned chipped splines - exactly where are you referring to - may help to nail the problem down.:)

A

·
0 Posts
I think HE'S TALKING ABOUT THE LAYSHAFT SPLINES
THAT FIT INSIDE THE CLUTCH DRIVE PLATE

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Getting Shafted

No that don't ring any bells with me either but after a bit of deep thought:confused: I think I've worked out what you are both referring to. IT'S CALLED THE GEARBOX INPUT SHAFT - the bit that sticks out into the clutch housing and engages with the clutch drive plate. As a matter of interest the lay-shaft is inside the gearbox and meshes with the mainshaft synchro hubs. I have never heard if this shaft getting chipped unless there has ben serious failure of the clutch drive plate or has been physically damaged during removal or fitting of the gearbox.:) :)

A

·
0 Posts
There's not many parts to it,

layshaft (input shaft), flywheel, clutch cover,drive plate,release bearing, plus the release bearing linkage assembly, clutch cable or slave cylinder.

Still sounds expensive

jen+chris HAVE A LOOK AT THIS PICTURE IT MAY HELP A LITTLE.

ALSO HAVE A LOOK AT THIS LINK POSTED TODAY BY MIKE4369

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/18652-useful-info.html

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Nice pic mag pity it's from an american site - they call it a layshaft but those of us on this side of the pond call it a Input shaft. But as you say there's not many components to a manual clutch system. Still never heard of one getting chipped though -have you.

A

·
0 Posts
Years ago we called them layshafts NOEL. I WAS HOPING TO HELP jen+chris WHO POSTED A HELP POST.

THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK IS THAT THE CLUTCH COVER
IS AT FAULT AND THE SPRINGS HAVE GONE OR THE SAME BUT WITH THE DRIVE PLATE SPRINGS.I CAN NOT SEE A SPLINE PROBLEM THOUGH, IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THE RELEASE BEARING IS FAULTY ONE MOMENT THEN RECTIFIES ITSELF. I ALSO CAN NOT THINK THAT THE LINKAGE IS AT FAULT THE ONLY OTHER THING BUT THIS DEPENDS ON IT BEING A CLUTCH CABLE SYSTEM IS THAT THE OUTER CABLE IS NOT SECURE OR BROKEN, BUT MY KNOWLEDGE IS LIMITED NOT DONE ONE FOR TWENTY YEARS OR SO.

SO I WILL BOW OUT AND LEAVE IT TO SOME OTHER MEMBER WHO'S DOING THEM EVERY WEEK OR SO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If its a cable clutch, check the plastic auto adjuster on top of the clutch pedal for stretched or broken spring orworn teeth

·
Registered
71 Posts
splines on the clutch plate i mean - like feeler gauges

tiny chips on them = depressing clutch = some resistance, sometimes, usually when driving slow

small chips, but trust me, had it happen a few times

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Clutch Prob.,

Sorry you're so tired Vertigo - but I think you were right the first time. The drive plate has internal splines but I've never seen splines on a pressure plate yet.:d I think the prob is as originally described it's a problem with the pedal cable arrangent otherwise it wouldn't correct itself.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts